Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ricii

Hardware selection

3 posts in this topic

Hi All, I have an application to monitor the status of 135 24vac signals. The signals are a mix of sensors, switches and other signals controlling a large conveyoring system. The problem is that the control panel has a LED mimic panel on it, which, isn't very useful when the machine is upto 50M away from the control panel! My Idea is to use a HMI on ethernet that will show certain screens when certain sensors etc are made true etc. Placed on the shop floor for all to see. I have a Proface HMI, I'm left pondering the selection of Siemens equipment (it has to be Siemens) Has anyone any good ideas on the hardware selection? Whether its to be s7300 or 200, whether a bus system is applicable in this instance? Any help much appreciated. RICII

For that many inputs, you'll need S7-300. S7-200 is limited to 256 I/O, 128 in and 128 out. Besides, with that number of inputs, a rack PLC will take up less space.

I aggree with Crossbow. It does not sound as there is a need for Profibus i/o as all cables are already pulled to the control panel. Right ? For ethernet you will need for example a 314 CPU + a CP343-1 LEAN, or a 315-2PN/DP CPU. An interesting alternative is to use an Ethernet/MPI adapter from one of the 3rd party vendors such as IBH, MHJ, Softing or Deltalogic. In connection with a regular CPU like a 314, you could do the job with STEP7 LITE which is available for free download.