Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HiGhVoLtAgEgUrU

RTD to PLC

31 posts in this topic

I have micologix 1100, I'd like to hook up a rtd to it. I understand AB makes module that you can hook the rtd straight to it. is there other way to do it? and which one is cost effective. if someone has any literarature or diagrams on how to hook it, I would appericiate it. I'm new to the analog stuff, I have some idea but not whole alot. I have digital stuff down about 75% percent. thanks for the help

Easiest way, would be to buy a transmitter that takes the rtd value and converts it to standard voltage or milliamp outputs. There are many brands on the market, for low end apps, I usually use these folks: http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/sectionSC.asp...ook=temperature

I got this old (not that old) RTD. it already has the transmitter in it. so in this case I dont need to use the RTD module right? I can just take the -4, +5 wires staright to an analog input card?. which I already have on the rack. And this would be the 4- 20ma signal? thx guys

-4, + 5 wires???. What is the complete catalog number of your analog input card? Does the RTD transmitter output 4 to 20ma or?

-4, +5 are inside the transmitter (RTD). This rtd has a transmitter already built in. so -4 and +5 goes to the plc analog module 1762-IF4? Three wires that comes from the probe are hooked to a hockey puck (transmitter) inside the rtd and -4, +5 will be hooked up the 1762 module?

Whats the brand and cat. no. of this RTD transmitter? Do you have a link to its manual?

Whats the brand and cat. no. of this RTD transmitter? Do you have a link to its manual?

Can someone explain how can I hook this up to a 1762-if4 module. and then how can I view it in program. I have attached a word doc. of pyromation RTD transmitter. thx Doc1.doc

alright, so now i have the RTD hooked up according to the diagram you provided, it hooked to the moudle input +0, -0, and now what do i do?? how do i configure it in the plc

Tell us what the RTD's transmitters scaling is i.e 4ma = ??, 20ma = ?? Then tell us which slot you put the analog module in (see pic below)

I have already installed the module and plc recondnized it. so how's scaling works? and i believe I also need to set up channel 1? where do i need to go to set up scaling mickey, and yeah the module is in slot 2 slot 0= micologix slot 1= Ac input card slot 2= 1762 IF4 card-----------one i'm using Edited by HiGhVoLtAgEgUrU

OK, forget about the PLC for just a moment. Scaling is taking to raw data from the analog card and turning it into something useful ( engineering units( degrees F or degrees C) "Tell us what the RTD's transmitters scaling is i.e 4ma = ??, 20ma = ??" What does 4ma represent in degrees and what does 20ma represent in degrees ( i.e. 4ma = 32 degrees and 20ma = 150 degrees) or? Edited by Mickey

Hey mickey accroding to rtd I guess 4ma=-50F and 20ma=100F but I just want to go down to 20F on 4ma and 100f on 20ma You explain very well, thankyou very much, I'm following this information really well. thankyou

Your Welcome. Calibrate your RTD transmitter, ( re-configure to the new scaling). Then change the SCP instruction's scaled min and scaled max to the new range.( i.e. 20 to 100)

How did you come up with 4ma=0 and 20ma=16383 i'm little confused...so this is stanard for temp 0 to 150f can you expalin scaling little better or direct me somewhere, so i can read on it

Our colleague Ron Beaufort has an excellent tutorial lesson on his website that explans scaling. Its long, but easy reading, and once you go through it you'll have the answer to many of the questions you have asked here. http://www.ronbeaufort.com/ Click on Sample lessons and look at scaling part 1 and part 2. He starts with very basic but important stuff, don't skip it - even if you don't have the calculator, follow thru the reading and see what is happening. Edited by Alaric

ok Alaric I will check that out..thanks

Hey guys..every time I put input number I:2.0 in SCP it gives me a error when i go to verify the program. it says..invaild file type specified. i'm using 1762-if4 analog card. SCP input 1:2.0 inpput min 0 input max 16383 scaled min 32 scaled max 150 output F8:0 that's exacty how I have it. sorry i dont know how to post a real image. thx

Change 1:2.0 to I:2.0. Not a 1 (one) but a I (letter "I") Edited by Mickey

ahh man I feel stupid now..hey thx mickey, haha..it' worked

I was trying to dowload the program into the plc. plc faulted out. i'm connected to plc via ethernet. micrologx 1100 1763-L16AWA major error code # 0187H in the i/o config.. i put the IP address and everything. but red light keep on flashing on the plc, i even cycle the power on/off couple times. so now what i do

See Picture below. Double check module #'s Post your code (.RSS file) Tell us what modules you have ( exact catalog numbers) and where you installed them. Edited by Mickey

Put it into program mode online. I believe you can auto-config and not even bother trying to figure things out.

red light is flashing on the plc. FAULT.. i cant' even get a to clear up anymore. i tried cycling power.