Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BITS N BYTES

Device Type Setting - CX Programmer

4 posts in this topic

A "File Memory" selection is available in CX programmer in the Device Type Settings window. When using a CJ1M-CPU23 processor, this File Memory tab allows the following selection:- None, 4MB[RAM], 8MB[RAM], 10MB[RAM], 15MB[RAM], 30MB[RAM], 48MB[RAM]. If any selection is made other than None the "Read Only" button becomes available for checking/unchecking I have searched through my documentation and cannot find any description as to what these settings are for and/or what they do!! Which file memory?? How does selection affect processor?? What is effect of checking/unchecking "Read Only"?? TOTALLY CONFUSED!! If anyone has used this function I would appreciate some insight. THNX CX_Programmer___DEVICE_TYPE_SETTING.pdf

Hello BITS_N_BYTES, File memory simply refers to a memory card that you may (or may not) have fitted to your PLC. I believe that this is a bit of a throwback to the old C / CV Series, and was implemented for the CS / CJ range without ever really knowing why!!! As far as I can tell, checking the 'Read Only' option does not prevent writing to the Memory Card.

Thnx for reply anonymous. File memory simply refers to a memory card that you may (or may not) have fitted to your PLC. Is the "memory card" a Compact flash card mounted in the CPU or something else?? Looks like you are suggesting that this setting is meaningless for the CJ1M processors. All very confusing!! Guess I'll ignore this for now, but it would be real nice if someone from OMRON could explain further.

Hello B_N_B, Yes, when I say Memory Card, it's the Compact Flash card that you insert into the CPU. These settings are (as I said) pretty useless for todays CPUs (CS / CJ / CJ1M), especially as the PLC automatically detects when a Flash card is installed. I'll try to find out more, and I'll post again once I have some concrete answers.