Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
diotter

s7-400 upload lossing descrition?

7 posts in this topic

My Client said that he never do a up-load of is PLC (s7-400) beecause he will loose his DB (name). today we had to do a cold-restart of that PLC and to re-type all the DB's number for the target point for some operating value. I can't beleave that there is no way to get a backup of the value in the plc to be able to restart sooner the production (3hrs this time) if the name get lost, can we do a up-load separately to be able tto download back those good opérationg value an then, load the program with the name and go on-line with that program??? (yes I'm use to work with A/B!!) From the time I was working with S5, we were doing transfer back and forw, witout problem!!

You only lose the DB descriptors if the DB format has been changed, i.e. the length changed. If the DB format is unchanged then the descriptors should remain. Make a copy of the project and try, you should keep the descriptors.

Tanks Groo, I will try that on a bench test unit tomorow! Maibee they lose the name once and they are scare to loose them again!! it make sense to do a upload as a security feature, we never know witch hard-drive will dye .

never upload only compare with your offline file. You will lose all your comments I have wasted so much time making sure the program is the same between what is on the plc to the offline file. This was the case where there is two programmers to one plc on one startup.

Controlsdude, I tryed to do a compare with the PLC but i'm not shure of wath is same or not (to much info ) same time stamp, not same time stamp, offline newer than PLC and so on!!! There is no turn around? If there are difference in the value, the compare will fail or only the structure diference will do? Tanks guys for your input.

if it is the same timestamp then that file is ok If it is a different timestamp it means that someone was online before you and had the same program but downloaded these files into the processor. Now you have the same program these files you have are the same but the timestamps are different. Next thing to check on this is are they both the same length? Then check the differences? You can open from the compare utility the file in question. Also be aware that you can filter out the files that are looking at differnces in actual values. Actual values that change are always there if the plc is running a program.

controlsdude, Tanks for the info, I will look a the compare utility next Monday. Good Week-end