Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rwraley

Devicenet 20 CommD adapter faulting drive.

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I have several AB Powerflex 700 drives communicating with the control system via 20-Comm-D DPI's. All but one are working fine. I am getting a "fault 85" "Port 5 Adapter not present" . The DN segment is ok. The only anomoly I can find regarding this drive is when I pull up the device config I notice that the drive product code (actual/ read) is different than the configured. Can you write this parameter or is it read only hard coded in the drive? Hope this rings a bell with someone! let me know if more info required. Thanks. Edited by rwraley

The difference between the Identity Object in the RSNetworx project file and in the drive itself is only of importance to the RSNetworx file. There is a simple "Resolve Mismatch" function available when you right-click on the drive's icon in the RSNetworx network view that will fix that nuisance. Fault code 85 indicates a failure of the drive's main control board to communicate with the 20-COMM-D over the DPI ribbon cable. Fault code 75 would indicate a failure of the 20-COMM-D to communicate with the scanner on DeviceNet. You can disable Fault code 75's by setting the network connection action to "hold last state" but you can't disable Fault code 85's unless you inhibited the adapter's ability to control the drive. Since you describe everything else as working correctly, this is either a loose DPI cable or a damaged 20-COMM-D. If this only happens at powerup, it might be a firmware issue described in RA Knowledgebase article 53299. There were also a handful of 20-COMM-D's manufactured between 2002 and 2003 that had bad capacitors onboard that would cause DPI failures... if your drives are new then that's unlikely to be the problem. Inspect the ribbon cable and pin connectors very carefully; I've had installers drop the 20-COMM-D and pull the ribbon out of its connector (not the connector out of its mating connector) then just slide it back in and hope for the best (I've also done that myself). Edited by Ken Roach

Thanks for the reply. This drives got bigger problems, as evidence by the fact that the HIM wont power up as of this morning.