Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjrx

Red Lion Data Station Plus question

3 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I'll start here. If you don't know the Data Station, I am using it for protocol conversion, it seems to work quite nice for this, but the 2 SCADA's polling the same IP address is the real question. DSP=Data Station Plus, from Red Lion Controls. I have a local PC running Wonderware to a local Siemens S7-300 PC via ethernet. There is is a switch/hub there as well, so my idea was to connect the DSP to the switch, use the ethernet S7-300/400 TCP/IP driver and then go serial from the DSP to my UHF radio, protocol converted to Modbus RTU in the DSP. I know all the conversion will work, my question is am I going to have issues with data collisions since there are really now 2 seperate SCADA systems polling the same ethernet address, with different update rates unknown to each other. I bench tested it and it works OK with one SCADA system polling the DSP, but I don't know what may happen in the field with the second system polling the same PLC. I hope I have I explained this OK.

I will post the answer from our emails, just so others can see the answer. That will depend on the PLC, while you have already discovered the PLC can handle at least 2 connections, you will need to find out how many total connections the PLC can handle. Regards, Dan

I presume you may already have the answers. I have used the Red Lion DSP and master and also use the G303. 306 and 310. Theses have been used to communicate via a Eth switch to talk TCP/Modbus to ABB PLC and TCP IP to a remote computer gathering log data. A third protocall RS485 Modbus driver is used to pass information to and from ABB Drives. The answer lies in the TCP port allocation. I have also used a similar setup with AB drives and Toshiba S2T V series PLC. If you need any advice please ask I will answer where possible. Ray Edited by Cetronic