Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest frits

winplc think & do

7 posts in this topic

Hello all I bought a second-hand plcdirect winplc with intergrated think & do software. Can I still use embedded visual basic to program this plc or do I need the programming software from plcdirect to program this thing. thanks for the responce Frits

It depends on which WinPLC you have. If you bougt the Think & Do (Studio) WinPLC you will need Entivity Studio to program it. These should be part numbers H2-WPLC1-SD and H2-WPLC2-SD. If you bougt the Think & Do (Live) WinPLC you will need Think & Do Live to program it. These should be part numbers H2-WPLC1-LV and H2-WPLC2-LV. I have heard that you can purchase a CE only version that can be programmed with VB or VC/C++ but I dont know the status on it. You may check with Host Engineering to find out. Host Engineering Let me know if I can help you out with it.

Hello, it is a H2-WPLC1-TD? thanks for the responce.

You have an older unit. After Entivity came to own Think & Do it eventually became Studio. So what you have is equivalent to a H2-WPLC1-SD. You will have to use Studio to program that one. You will also have to update the firmware but that is not a big deal. A development license of Entivity Studio cost $3495.00. If you don’t want to invest that much and need some one to write the code for you let me know.

There is no way to forget about the think & do and just program it as if it was a ce-only version? Can I switch off the think & do?

Not as far as I know. If I were you I would contact Host Engineering and ask them. They may have some work around.

Hi all, I contacted Host Engineering, This is their reply. "You can download the WinPLC SDK from our web site (www.hosteng.com). One of the files you download (nk_vb.ceb) will be a new runtime image. You'll have to replace the current ThinknDo image I your WinPLC with this new one that can handle Visual C/C++/Basic programs. Another file that you get in the Download is WinPLCWB.Exe ( WinPLC Workbench). This utility is what you'll use to "find" the WinPLC, and download the new image. It's also the utility you'll use to configure the WinPLC's networking information. The programming environment is Microsoft's eMbedded Visual Tools v3.0. You can download this from Microsoft's web site for free." One thing to remember is that you have the ipx-protocol loaded on your network-card. I did what they advised, now I am programming the winplc in VB. Thanks for the responce. Hope this will help others.