Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indepthmarine

USB to serial

7 posts in this topic

It is time to replace my ailing laptop , a power hungry Sony Vaio, without true serial port. No problems with USB to serial converters, to CJ1 PLC. My two choices...Dell M4300 with real serial port ($2000 fully loaded) Macbook Pro. ($3200 fully loaded) Apple doesn't have serial port in their vocabulary. I also plan to install CX-One, and AutoCAD Electrical. I am ensured AutoCAD Electrical will run on the Windows version on MAC Parallels. I don't know about CX-One. It is a real version of Windows, so it should be fine. My particular question is: Will a MAC operate a USB to Serial converter well enough to connect to PLCs? At this point, I am only concerned about Omron PLC's. Is this an incredibly smart thing to do, or perhaps incredibly stupid? When is the CJ2 with USB programming port coming???

First off I have seen some detail here in another thread about the release of the CJ2 - there was only discussion of Ethernet so I do not know what is on them at this stage. I have just bought a Dell Vostro running Viosta with a 17" WUXGA wide screen for Omron PLCs and my CAD program (Caddsman). It has no serial port so I bought a card bus one quite cheaply. Also bought a USB/parallel adapter for my label printer and plotter. It just plugs in and installs iteself as a USB printer port. The serial card did require software. I have not tried it online yet but plan to do it over the weekend. Will let you know how I go. By the way, I opted for the Vostro to get the wide screen at a reasonable price.

i have M4300 since last week, (http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=14425#) and it works like a charm, has real RS232 port, runs CX-One 2.04 and also connects through generic USB/serial converter (tried on two different Omron PLCs). Not sure about MACs, never seen anyone using MAC for industrial automation.

Hello Indepthmarine, CX-One is not supported under MAC OS, even when running windows emulation software. That is not to say that it won't work, but if you have problems, then 'on your head be it' so to speak, and as Panic Mode points out, I too don't know of anyone who's used a MAC for industrial applications. Re. CJ2... http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=14452 By the way, the CP1H range already has a USB port!

should you choose the Apple path, best bet is to enable BootCamp on your Mac. It will then become a normal Windows notebook, with the added benefit of switching between Windows and OSX, both running natively. I've had running various versions of Omron software in Apple's operative systems under either Virtual PC and now recently both Parallels and VMWare, and although as above stated Omron does not guarantee proper working of its software under emulation I haven't found any problem, even working online, with the exception of late versions of Virtual PC (that is going to be discontinued anyway) Instead of using USB converters, a PCMCIA or PC-Express serial card would be a better choice, if only for the fact that Windows can use a standard device driver.

Thanks CX Luigi I was investigating Boot Camp Vs Parallels, but came to the Boot Camp solution as well. I am trying on the home based iMac first, before plunging into a $3500 laptop. I am definitely not buying another VAIO. I think this will become more common, not trying to be artsy (an artsy PLC guy???), just get the best bang for my bucks.

in my opinion Apple Macs are, and have been since long time, among the top manufacturers of quality notebooks, together with IBM and HP. Until now I had to keep a Windows notebook for work. Currently it's a ThinkPad T42 and will never have enough praise for its reliability and overall construction quality. I owned in the past also Acers, HPs and Dells, and the latter have been an absolute disgrace in my eyes. Lots of faults, poor construction quality and (in my case at least) very poor customer service. I swore never to use another Dell. In the past Apple has marketed its hardware as targeted to people in the arts and graphic communities, and this has resulted in a enduring bias towards their machines, seen as unfit for other uses. Thanks to their decision to migrate to Intel processors they now have a line of machines that are perfectly fit for any use in any field. I installed CX-One in my Mini at home through Parallels, and it works a charm without any glitch. Even working online through Ethernet is perfectly fine. Overall when the T42 will start to lose its steam (hopefully as late as possible), i plan to get an MacBook as my field workstation