Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_mike31

SLC 5/04 PROCESSOR

8 posts in this topic

HI I have tried several time to go on line with AB SLC 5/04 using null cable modem and serial port using RS-232 DF1 DEVICES but failed I have no problem with 5/03 but I do not know why I can not set up the RS LINX for SLC 5/04 many thanks for help.

Hi Mike. It's possible that the port might be turned off or configured for something else. (DH-485) Are you trying to use RS LINX first correct? Have you ever connected to the SLC before or are you doing this "blind"?

HI chakorules Thanks for the reply Yes I tried using RS LINX I do not think that the port is turned off because with the same unit communicating with SLC 5/03 no problem at all Thanks

I meant the port on the 5/04 might be turned off. (sorry about that) Or configured for something else. Is this the first time you've tried to connect to the 5/04 you are having trouble with?

Try this Start RSLinx From the menu at the top, click drivers and from the drop down click on configure drivers. A new screen will pop up. Highlight your DF1 driver and click on the Configure box on the right. On the new popup click on autoconfigure. (forgot to mention make sure you are connected to the processor) Linx will now test the port until it finds the correct parameters. If it succeeds it will show a message. Click OK and then you should be ok. If the processor is new one with no project, the default baud rate is 1200, most people speed this up when they initially write the program, hence why an existing processor probably is ok. Another problem can be if someone has written a comms device through the RS232 on the processor. If they have there is no way to program through the port. Either use DH+ or you have to erase the processor and download a new program.

Try connecting using PIC/AIC+ driver, it could be port is set to DH485 rather than DF1. I have seen two 5/04 processors with failed RS232 ports, both units approximately manufactured 4-years ago (one straight out of the box, other only been in use a couple of months). I notice the latest version of processor has a spring that connects RS232 circuit to chassis, maybe they had problems with certain earlier versions.

Thanking you all for the reply in regards to Chakorules comments yes it is the first time that I want to go on line with Processor AB SLC 5/04 this is a machine that has also panelview 600 connected to it and this machine is in working condition and under full production. I have noticed that when off line program is opened in the controller properties communication driver is PCMK_DH+.what should I do here . Thanks

That just means the last guy that programmed that SLC used a PCMK_DH+ card. I forgot about the program...duh....look at the offline program. Open it up in RS Logix offline. click on Channel Configuration. Next a window will pop up. The RS-232 port is called Channel 0. Check the tab and report back what yours is set to. If the was last downloaded as "DF1", then you can follow the direction that ally.davidson1 gave you. If your channel 0 is set to DH-485, then follow the direction that Snerkel gave you. Regardless post back what your offline program says the channel was set too. Then we can help futher. Generally the best method to connect to ANY Allen Bradley PLC is first always get RS Linx talking to the PLC. Don't even open RS Logix until you get RS Linx working and talking to your computer. Once you figure out what protocol the PLC is using and you are talking to it using RS Linx, then you can start RS Logix 500. Then the next best thing to do while RS Linx is running in the background and you have opened your program offline is click on "Comms" "System Comms" in RS Logix 500. This will bring up the RS Linx session in a mini window. Then you can try to go "Online" If your offline program matches, then RS Logix will go "Online" without complaining too much. It may ask you if it's ok to to change the default driver from PCMK_DH+ to whatever driver you used to connect on the RS-232 "er uh" channel 0 port...since it's configurable, I dare not say it's RS-232, cause it can be changed to DH485.