Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neilr216

OMRON CS1W-CFI31 Communication Issues

10 posts in this topic

An update: For all those of you out there that care, I recently switched to the Quatech SSP-100 G PCMCIA Serial card after experiencing many problems with OMRON's USB to serial adapter. The new serial card comes up as COM3 on my laptop and it's performance is ROCK-SOLID with all PLC & HMI communications. If any of you have had or are having problems with the USB/serial adapter I highly recommend switching to this. The cost was approximately 100 dollars US.

Perhaps you did change PC with a dual CPU Core and didn't you upgrade the drivers of the CIF31?

I have had my part of problems with the CIF31 So I also changed over to PCMCIA 3years ago and sinc e then I have never had any problems with whatever software... So I can't agree more with neilr216 Beegee

Thanks for your response Beegee. I would never of considered using the OMRON adapter and wasting so much time with it if I had know of this alternative a year ago.So in the end, it's all your fault for not telling me about it in the first place (LOL) Live and learn.

there are a lot of messages around this topic on MRPLC (also where I told the same thing....) so.... Beegee

The only time I had trouble with the CIF was a long time ago and as soon as I changed laptops the problem went away. Have just bought a new Dell Vostro - T9300 processor, 4 gig RAM, 350 gig SATA hard drive, 17" wide screen - resolution is 1920 x something - brilliant, Vista - yes going to give it a go. Bought an express card to RS232 adaptor for $89 AU - that is pretty cheap. Installed very easily just have to try it in the real world now but it should be good. Installed itself as com 3. The old girl gave me a warning ' non system disk' - thankfully it re-booted an the 4th try - I had some files on there that I had not backed up. Almost OUCH!!! Will get a new hard drive and put XP Pro back on it as a backup. It also has a real serial prot so may be useful.

Thanks for your comments on the subject. Vista eh? Hmmmm! By the way, I read on BBC News recently that you guys are having the worst dry spell in a hundred years. They said that many farmers have had to leave there land and go elsewhere or give it up altogether. Are you still allowed to wash your car or is that a thing of the past?

It is a dry country anyway but has been very bad the last few years. The conditions vary greatly all over the country. We have always been able to wash our cars in Sydney with a bucket and even water the garden for a few hours twice a week with a hand held hose. The restrictions have just been eased in Sydney and we can now use a hose with a trigger nozzle to wash the car. There has been some good rain around Sydney and our dams are above 60% capacity. Other main cities are not so lucky. Some cities still have dam levels below 20% capacity and water restrictions are very tight all over Australia. Country areas are mostly still in real trouble. For example, Goulburn is only 1 1/2 hours south of Sydney, they have a huge dam and it ran virtually dry. They are OK for a while as there has been some rain but still not good. They are looking at re-cycling sewage into the dam. It is done all over the world tehse days but people still have an aversion to it just thinking about where the water has come from. Australia is very much a land of contrasts. For example Brisbane and south east Queensland wer so dry they were in danger of running out of water. Then it rained very heavily and there was a lot of flooding. Biggest problem is most of the water runs into the sea and not the dams. Farther north in Queensland there has been a couple of lots of very heavy flooding in some areas but 100 miles away there has been no rain. They also had a couple of cyclones come through washing away the beaches - properties built close to the beach are now collapsing as there is no sand - as much as 50-100 metres have been washed away in some parts. All the banana plants were flattened and we had virtually no bananas for 12 months. There is a lot of irrigation out of the rivers in Australia. The government have started buying back water licences to preserve the rivers a bit. It will make food very expensive I believe. The major supermarkets were briging food in from China - vegetables and fruit. It was found to contain a lot of real nasties sudh as ecolii, DDT etc. The supermarkets now have to declare where the food was grown. Chinese vegetables and fruit are almost gone now thank heavens. De-salination plants are going in all over the place. The problem is they use huge amounts of power and are going to cost us all a fortune. The stupid governments fool the people by telling them these things run on 'green' power. Wind power is green but there is not enough of it in Australia to run 1 de-salination plant. Solar panels are not green as I understand still today more power is used to make them than they can ever produce. Makes people feel good I suppose. The red wines are great though - the intesity of flavours increases enormously in dry seasons although the size of the crop drops. Good for us that like a drop.

Thanks for your detailed update on the water situation in Australia. It's great to get information from an individual living the life rather than from the media. In Canada we have a lot of fresh water , but are running short on intelligent politicians. Incidentally, I didn't know , until you mentioned it, that you grew bananas in Australia!!!

Queenslanders are known as 'banana benders' or 'cane toads' due the cane toads that have gone crazy since coming to Australia from South America. Obvoiusly most of the horrid cane toads are in Queensland.