Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
berikas

CX programmer USB or PCMCIA?

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I have CX programmer 3.2. On HP notebook don't have serial port. Can anybody answer me what kind of converter it is better to use : USB-rs232 or PCMCIA-rs232. Sorry for my english Thanks in advance

I have used the USB to RS232 convertors. I have used the Wiretek ones with Omron software, the entire CX-Automation Suite, Devicenet Configurator, Syswin and this will bring back memories for Jay...the DOS based NT Support tool version 2. Omron have released a RS232 to USB convertor, while more expensive then the Wiretek one, I have the backing of Omron for support to get it to work not to mention the 2 year waranty for the product.... That being said, that covers Omron, I have had, and a number of others i know, of having a lot of difficulites with AB software and the USB to RS232 convertors and had to resort to the PCMCIA type. Ther you go, hope that helps...

My new work laptop has no serial port. I have so far used the following with success with a $20 CP Technologies USB to Serial adapter from www.tigerdirect.com: AB RSLogix 500 5.2 Modicon Concept 2.6, ProWORX NxT 2.2, ProWORX 32 1.0 Mitsubishi GX-Developer, E-Designer, GT Designer, AlphaWin Siemens LogoSoft, Step 7 MicroWin32 Idec WindLDR The following did not work: Modicon PL7 Pro 4.3 Modicon XBT-L1000 v3.8 So I would say that for 90% of the automation apps a USB to serial would work. The Modicon one that didn't is using their Unitelway protocol, and they sell a USB programming cable for those PLCs.

Can someone know a price of OMRON USB-RS232 converter? My dealer very often rising up prices Thans in advance

I have on my PC PCIMCA RS232 card and serial port. With Syswin I can use both same with AB and others,(not PIC) But with CX 3.2 and NS Designer I can use only with the serial port I dont know Why?

The only difference is Syswin uses it's own serial driver and CX Programmer uses FGW Serial driver.

The trade price in Australian $ is $245..... Using www.x-rates.com this translates to roughly $190 USD..... There you go.....

i use usb to serial con. too, with cx prog 3.01 and syswin 3.4,,(and XP home) but when i use 2 convertor (peripheral+rs232) sometimes my pc is reboot.. ithink because of xp home.

Thanks for everyone! This morning my company buy for me a new notebook with RS232 installed . So for me this problem is solved. My dealer told me that i don't need an original USB-RS232 converter and instead I can use any other. A lot off Thanks to this great forum.

Creo que está a punto de salir al mercado, si no ha salido ya, el CIF31 que se convierte en un puerto USB pero creo que es para los CJ y CS que utilizan un conector de periféricos especial. Lo siento pero no mdomino el idioma inglés. I believe that it is about leaving al market, if it has not left already, the CIF31 that becomes a port USB but I believe that it is for the CJ and CS that utilize a special connector of peripherals. I feel it but not mdomino the English language. (Translated by Free-Translation.com - Jay)

it seems that i'm too late. i recommend the PCMCIA converter. OMRON CIF31 is too expensive .Usb-232 converter is a virtual serial port,PCMCIA 232 port is a real port. otherwise it is 2,000 RMB in China,about 700 dollar . what about the price in any other country. Edited by peterpan

That would be quite a rip-off! Prices here are more affordable.