Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Turkey Slayer

RSView and TrendX

6 posts in this topic

I currently have RSView32 Works running on my computer. I used it to update an application that was on a standalone PC on the production floor that runs RSView32 Runtime. My problem was when I'd open the new program on the production floor PC, all my TrendX graphs would be shaded boxes. I called Rockwell TechConnect and they told me to check the version of TrendX I was using on both PCs. Both versions matched perfectly: 3.42.00 (CPR 7) but I still had the problem. The A-B tech had no idea other than that, so I let him go. We had a similar problem before and it involved uninstalling TrendX, deleting the RSTXView.ocx file in the C:\Program Files\Rockwell Automation\RSCommon directory, and reinstalling TrendX. I did this to no avail, so I decided to take a look at what version the RSTXView.ocx file was on my computer. Turns out, despite having 3.42.00 installed on my computer, the RSTXView file was at version 3.43.00. So, I copied the file from my computer to the one on the floor and voila! working trend charts. The moral of the story here is that even if you can have the same version of Rockwell Software on two computers, it doesn't mean that all the program's files are at that version.

There is another moral to the story, Sherman. Talking to AB Tech Support is just a little above talking to the guys at Best Buy about computers... They certainly don't know everything, but can be helpful on occasion.

Lol, that's why they have the l33t Geek Squad! Edited by Nathan

I've had the same problem. Ultimately I deleted the TrendX object, transfered the Works licnece to the runtime box, re-inserted the TrendX object from the local box, then transfered my Works license back. Its a PITA, but it worked.

I have to ask... what's a PITA? Oh... never mind...I got it! I've had similar problems with the customer getting different versions and not telling me etc. They need one of those "save as Version X" routines.... And YES it is a PITA.

I have to work with multiple software versions too. I found a little freeware (at least for now) utility called WinAudit. I run that on the computers to log what versions of ocx, dll, installed software, etc. are there. It helps to compare what is different on one computer to determine what needs to be upgraded/downgraded to work. WinAudit can be downloaded at the site below. It may help you as it has me. http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm