Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gbradley

Slc commsi recently purchased a slc 5/03.

4 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a SLC 5/03. This has two ports. A DH485, and a serial port. I was hoping to use the serial port on the SLC 5/03 ( CH0 ) to connect to the HMI, and then use the DH485 port ( ch1 ) to communicate with my laptop, download programs etc. What I found out is that the SLC 5/03 does not have pass thru capabilities, so I will have to disconnect my PV micro in order to program the HMI. I connected the SLC 5/03 Ch 0 to the laptop Com1 serial port, with a straight thru 9 pin to 9 pin cable. I was able to communicate using the DF1 when I selected the auto-Configure. I'll post when I get the HMI all working correctly. Thanks to the guys over at www.plcs.net/cgibin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi George Bradley

Do you have the PV yet? I see you said Micro so I am assuming that it is a PV 300 micro? This PV only has 2 comms options. Both are 232 either DF1 or DH-485. If you specify which you have, or are getting, it would be a lot easier to help you get it connected and working.

Yea I am using the 2711-M3A184 300 Micro PV. Ser A Rev B. I plan to use a 1761-CBL PM02 Ser C Cable and a Null Modem to download the PanelBuilder 32 HMI Code into the Micro. Once the Paneview  Program is downloaded I'll use the above cable sans the null modem and connect directly to Channel 0 on the SLC. Originally I had hoped to be able to program the HMI or the PLC whithout breaking the connection between the two, but it really is not all that important. I shouldn't have to change PLC code or the HMI code once I get the project going. Thanks! I'll Post the results when I get it going.

Which HMI haev you bought. If it is the panelview 550 or higher you are better off getting the unit with DH485 (NOT RS232 DH485) as it has both a DH485 In and DH485 out. You can link the panelview to the SLC5/03 DH485 port, then connect your pic to the panelview DH485 and communicate with both the PLC and HMI at once. The other way to do it is use an AIC unit and build a small DH485 network which willl allow you to connect the PLC, HMI & Laptop at once.