Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
308guru

FactoryTalk View Studio / tag question

4 posts in this topic

I'm using FactoryTalk View (RSView ME) and I am having trouble exporting tags to a CSV file. I have 14 displays including the default alarm, diagnostics, etc...screens. When I run the Tag Export Wizard and then open up the file in excel, it appears that it only exported the tags for one display. I'm not even sure how it is choosing that particular display as it's in the middle of my list. Is there a setting somewhere to choose which displays to export or how can I get it to send all of them out? Thanks.

I just repeated the process and it made a csv with all of my "tags". Is it possible that your other "Tags" are really only addresses where instead of creating real tags, you browsed directly to the address in the processor. These are not real "tags" in the RSView Studio application.

Yes, I think that is exactly the case. Showing my lack of experience with this program here. I thought pointing to an address was a "tag". If that's not the case, could somebody explain the difference or the definition of a tag? Is a tag just a name given to an address? Why would I use a tag? Thanks!

Hello mc, In RSVeiw Studio there are to type of Tags: "HMI Tags" and "PLC Tags". HMI Tags, are memory points created within the FTView tag database, and there is where you scale them and where you eihter assign a PLC addres for each one or define a default value fot them, in the case there are only memory tags (e.g calculated eng unit from a PLC tag). At the other side, you have PLC tags, which are those you call directly from each graphic object or animation, through a device shortcut. It is up to you to decide which one to use. Or even you could use both types. But when you need to export your tag database, it only can be done for the HMI tags, as they are in the FTView database. None of the tags referenced directly to a PLC address from any graphic object, will be in the export file. In the case of the alarms, as they are triggered from configured tags, you could in ME, use any or the above mentioned type of tags. But when your development is in SE, you need to create one HMI tag for each alarm you have to monitor. In the following link you can find more information about ME. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um004_-en-e.pdf Best regards. Daniel.