Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slcman

Control powerflex 40 drive thru ethernet

5 posts in this topic

Can I control speed setpoint of Powerflex 40 from Micrologix 1100 (ethernet comm). I'll buy 22-COM-E ethernet comm module for powerflex. I also wanted to get feedback from drive like fault #, curent, ect... Thanks

Yes. I strongly recommend doing start/stop control via discrete wiring, but you can do all the other reference and parameter work over the network. The "N-file" emulation is described in the PCCC Object section in the 22-COMM-E user manual. If you have only one drive, I'd recommend instead of Ethernet, use the serial port on the MicroLogix 1100 with a 1763-NC01 cable to send Modbus RTU commands to the PowerFlex 40's built-in "DSI" RS485 serial port.

I already have router HMI & PLC on ethernet. I select ethernet comm for 2 reasons: first I think my comms will be faster, second I wish I'll be able to communicate with the drive over my network. It's true? I'll really appreciate if you can send me the link to PCCC and powerflex, I didn't found anything. Thanks

The 22-COMM-E Manual can be found on the Rockwell Literature Library. The PCCC Object is detailed on Page C-15.

Using the 22-COMM-E is definitely going to give you easier and faster access to the drive's configuration and diagnostic parameters over your network. If you intend to administer and maintain this system from a distance, that's a great choice. But it won't necessarily be faster. The 22-COMM-E links up to the drive via the relatively slow 19200 baud "DSI" serial network. After an Ethernet I/O packet arrives at the 22-COMM-E, it takes about 35 milliseconds for the drive to receive that command, and a total of 70 milliseconds before the drive's response appears back on the Ethernet network. I have not performed the same kind of tests on PCCC messages, but I expect them to be in the same neighborhood.