Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MIKE31

ALLEN BRADLEY SLC PROCESSOR 5/04 COMMUNICATION

28 posts in this topic

I have 5/04 processor and trying to communicate with processor but no luck DH+ and FAULT led are both solid red ,please see the attachment.Thank you so much DH_.doc

Sorry Mike, but that solid red fault LED is bad. If cycling power to the processor doesn't clear the fault, try putting the processor in a different chassis and see if it will power up. If it won't, your probably going to have to get a new processor

Thanks TWCONTROL for the reply but if the fault led wasn't solid then communication would have been okay.

I'm not sure I understand your last reply. Was that a question or a comment? Pretty much solid fault LED is bad and in general unrecoverable irregardless of the other LEDs

Just incase you haven't seen this. SLCLEDs.pdf

I always try disconnecting battery, and discharging the capacitor next to it , down to zero volts with resistor and repower up this loads defaults. this has got all our 5/04 units going again

I have a SLC5/04 on my desk that periodically gives a solid LED fault. However by disconnecting the battery and flipping the card over, then with a paper-clip shorting from the Vcc pin to the Gnd pin for 30 seconds, I can recover from the fault. That may work in this case, but then agian, it may not work, its worht a try.

Unless I am mistaken DH+ comms is thru a daughtercard internal to the CPU unit. It can fail and the CPU and serial or PORT 0 will work just fine. I'd suggest you try and connect RSLinx using your PC serial port and the CPU Port 0. If this works you'll still need to repair the DH+ port, which means a return to AB unless you can cannibalize another 5/03.

I will try again to short VBB and GROUND points again. I have done it a few times but failed Thanks

HI I put 10 ohm resistor across capacitor to discharge also checked voltage , zero volts across capacitor but still the same with fault led being solid red no luck. Thanks for all your help.mike

Did RSlinx Serial Df-1 driver Autoconfigure detect a processor or not?

HI no sir it did not anyway the processor is burnt . Thanks

Hi guys: Just want to let you al know, using a paper clip (or screw driver) to short and drain the capacitor in parallel with the battery is hard on the plates of the capacitor and you risk shorting the life and capacity of the capacitor. A much better way (besides the resistor) is to take the bulb out of your mag flash light and place it across the two pins of the capacitor. You will see the light glow for a second, and the capacitor is safely drained. Some times a resistor of the proper value is not readily available.

my problem is slc 500 cpu  fault led is steady on .then this plc is not communicate in pc

hi Mrs.kaiser thanku the information , i saw the manual in page 14 and i read then i try again theprocedure ,lt is not clear .:-(.plse tell any other method.

Then i sorry my english is bad. it is not my native  language.but i try to speak good.

Edited by pv550

Which SLC-500 CPU model do you have?  Identify the CPU model you have, please.  Identify the all status light conditions, also, please.

Well, (a) pg. 144 - if the FAULT light is ON and all other status lights are OFF => inadequate system power; (b) pg. 146 - if POWER light is ON and FAULT light is ON and all other status lights are OFF => CPU fault (memory module or processor or power supply).

my slc 500 cpu model ;

CAT:1747-L532

SER: E

PROC,REV:8

and what is mean by   inadequate system power

"inadequate system power" => Either your incoming 120/240V is sagging poorly OR rack power supply cannot maintain system power OR the chassis backplane is not properly powering the rack OR the rack power supply jumper is not set properly (120/240).  Get multimeter...capture data.

Do you have a spare power supply?  Do you have a spare PLC rack chassis?

first of all thank u for the information.

yes i have  a spare of plc rack chassis . and i chassis the plc rack then fault is not change

Edited by pv550

plse help me ,in my stand by plc slc 500 

my slc 500 cpu model ;

CAT:1747-L532

SER: E

PROC,REV:8

key switch is fixed run postion and i try to turn rem mode and program mode .is not turn .

You turned the keyswitch from REM to RUN and back to REM, and the processor did not go into run mode?  Have you gone online with RSLogix500?  Open the RSLogix500 program, go onilne, and verify that the mode is REM RUN in the top-left status bar.