Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Dyble

Linux for a plant based web browser

6 posts in this topic

We have decided to use the Red Lion DSP to provide datagathering and an HMI for 4 slc500's and 3 single loop controllers. (See topic in AB forum). It is our intention to put these devices onto the IT network at some point, but there is some work required before this is possible, we will therefore have to provide a standalone PC in the operators office in the short (to medium...) term. My question: All we need is a web browser. I have played around with Linux at home, but never really used it in anger in an industrial enviroment. Firefox is supported, which works well in my experience. We can have a panel PC with a Compact Flash socket on which we could run a install of DSL (dang Small Linux), this is a cut down installation which even runs from a CD if required and offers everything we need, It 'expands' itself into a Ram drive before running. I have had a play with it and it seems to do the job. Advantages as I see it are: Always comes back to it original config, therefore 'bomb' proof Diskless fanless small panel PC can be used. Less reliance on Mr Gates offerings and issues that come with it. Will run on lower spec systems Only issue I can see at the moment is availability of touch screen drivers. Any thought comments or experiences. Remember this is an interim solution, so as long as it works it dosnt have to be scaleable

You don't even need an "OS". Consider buying a Neoware PC (www.neoware.com although they've been bought out by HP). This is a "thin client". In other words, it's a fanless, diskless Linux PC. You can run just Firefox directly on it, including Java. If you look for thin clients, there's also 2X (www.2x.com) and thinstation. These are alternatives to the native Neoware software. Both work reasonably well on most hardware. These all get you in the door for about $300 for the "PC", if you want to call it that. We have one of these running in the electric shop as the primary "PC" (the backend is a dual Xeon quad core monster Windows thin client server). We've also run it in "standalone" (direct connection, no "server" except the webserver) with Java applets and browsing just about anything. This is even with the "wimpy" c50 boxes from Neoware. Touch screens worked fine as long as we stuck with the serial port ELO touch screens. Fortunately the vast majority of them on the market right now are from ELO or one or two others, so this seems to be a non-issue. Edited by paulengr

I just had a colleague test this. The touch screen control and display update does not work well with Firefox (even for Windows). It does however work well with Konquerer. Regards, Dan

I'm a fan of Wyse for thin clients. Different versions all run trim operating systems that are based on: Windows, Java, Linux, Unix, web or even "stateless" that require a network source to boot from. Sounds like the Linux ones would be right up your alley. They're cheap devices and don't require you to know (or do) nearly as much as trying to customize a Linux PC installation for this purpose.

We use Reliance 4 Web Client, it's Java client that can be started as an applet in a browser, or via Java Web Start (clicking on browser or as standalone application). They promised that it works on Linux, Mac OS X and others. See Reliance 4 Web Client. Maybe this is solution for you.

Have you seen http://pvbrowser.org ? This is open source SCADA software under GPL/LGPL. It uses a special Browser that works with dynamic changing Qt widgets. Similar to a standard web browser it is client/sever but it does not use http. Instead of the connectionless http protocol a connection oriented protocol is used which is better suited for SCADA and allows much faster update rates. The servers in this system might be distributed all over a plant and a user can surf these servers. The server software does not need Qt it only needs our platform independent libraries.