Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Krell

Hart communicator via USb to Serial converter

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to configure HART devices using software on my laptop via a MACTEK Hart communicator that has an rs232 connection. this is plugged into a rs232 to USB converter. The devices i have are a micromotion transmitter and Endress and Hauser pressure transmitter. Does anyone know if there are known issues with this? Known issues with usb to serial converters in general? Should i just purchases a USB hart communicator and not even mess with this?

Don't know about the HART end of it, but there are many many varieties of USB to serial adapters, and many are intermittent or do't work with PLCs. I've always had success with the Keyspan USA-19 (recommended by Mitsubishi) and the CP Technologies CP-US-03. Belkin and IOGear were crap, Targus worked for some applications and not others, etc.

Hi Mike, I know it is probly a little late. We have a USB to Hart converter with free software for configuration. Here's a link. http://www.icpdas-usa.com/products.php?PID=3821 If you did already take care of this, I am curious as to what solution you did use and the extent of its success.

I use a Mactek serial HART converter, too. According to whomever answered the Mactek tech support line (USA) about 2-3 months ago, HART comm will not work with a serial Mactek plugged into a USB-RS232 converter. I didn't go into details, I just accepted him at his word. You might call Mactek if you want details. Dan

Regarding using a USB to serial RS232 adapter with a PLC. The chance of success relates to which USB to serial adapter you are using, or rather what quality it is. The cheap Chinese adapters adapters from ebay usually uses a Prolific chipset and drivers. These usually won't work with any PLC. The higher quality adapters uses a chipset and drivers from FTDI. There are much more reliable and works with many PLC's, but probably not all. I have had success with several Allen Bradley and Mitsubishi PLC's.

Hey Mike, I have run into several problems with RS232 to USB converters but found this really good one at www.coolgear.com, i asked and called why there's works and others don't he simply said we use better chips. Sorry not to many specifics as to why it works but it does work. rafaelmankilla http://www.industrialdisplay.org