Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
panic mode

Panasonic GT sereis HMI

10 posts in this topic

I was just using Panasonic GT21C HMI on a project with Omron PLC. GT is very nice little HMI that get's the job done. It is meant to be simple to use and it supports many PLCs. Cable diagrams are in the help file of the software. Demo software is free for download. It is fully functional, the only limitation compared to full version is that it allows only 10 screens. I did call tech support to get the comms running with Omron PLC which was resolved right away. I've posted note about this in download section: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=769 Few comments: - basic but nice looking unit - attractive pricing - supports many plcs - simple and easy to use - driver download is transparent (transferred as part of project download) - supports partial downloads - downloads are fast - bright display - lightning fast start (instant on) - built-in buzzer can be controlled by PLC - project is not single file (it is a folder with each screen saved as separate file) but it is very small (4 screen project was only about 25kb) - good tech support panic mode

Hi Panic, I too have a Panasonic GT21C HMI, and I am using it with FP0, FP2, & FP-X controllers. My only beef with the GT21C is the GTWin software trying to configure the GT HMI. Even though I have the latest version of GTWin, it still seems like the "GT Configuration" feature does not always pass new configuation parameters to the HMI. My experience has taught me to check & double check when I change a GT Configuration through GTWin. Other than that, the GT21C is an overall good product.

interesting, i didn't have such problem. what is your GTWIN version (I have 2.93)? did you talk to Panasonic?

Hi Panic, Thank you for the response Panic; I have a less than a high opinion regarding Panasonic PLC support. I am sure that part of my prejudice is from the fact that at one time I did technical support for a PLC company, and I was damned good at it. START OF RANT I will pick on the Panasonic guys for the moment, but this holds so true for just about every other technology company (except AutomationDirect), the support persons grasp of the English language is not that great. Often they are hard to understand, and frequently they "talk down" to you even though you have concisely explained what your problem is. I know my problem is that when I did customer support, I WANTED to help people, now days many support people act like they are doing you the biggest favor. END OF RANT As to my recurring problem with the GT21C, I am more inclined to believe that the problem is with my "USB to RS-232" converter. Only one of my development computers (I have four laptops) has a true RS-232 port, and it is my newer "dual core" faster than lightening AMD computers that seem to have the most problems. If I use my 7 year old Compaq laptop that has a real RS-232 port, I do not seem to have such headaches. In the "wouldn't it be great" category, I wish someone (like PC Magazine or PC World) would do some benchmark testing of these devices. Over the years I have had more than 10 different converters, with the RadioShack converter being the least reliable and my Belkin converter being the most reliable. Just my experience. Best regards, Scott

My 3-year old Dell with Pentium-M 2.0GHz, WinXP Pro, 2Gb RAM and real RS232 port still does the job (and every time). About my experience with Panasonic tech support: I first called my local guy and on a holiday. He happened to be away on a trip but he still answered and gave me phone number of the USA tech support (1 877 624 7872) and I'll bet my lunch that person answering phone was born and had all of his education in US so language wasn't the problem. My issue was sorted in less than 20min which I consider rather impressive. Since this is review section, it's only fair to be objective and back comments with some details: - what is the software that you use and what version? (Windows and GTWin)? - what was the exact problem (editing GT configuration or transfering to/from GT)? - what cable and interface you used (type of cable, PC hardware) - what number did you call and what exactly happend? was it resolved or this is still open issue?

Here's an open question for you Panic. I remember a couple of years ago that Dell was making a big deal that their technical support was "not offshore". What they didn't tell you that the help was coming from Canada, but at least they spoke English, and there were no communication problems. My background is in both CNC and PLC's, so I have suffered through the Fanuc and other asian support systems. I was the west coast engineering support for a major asian machine tool builder in the 90's, and frequently I knew more than the Fanuc personnel did. This is not because I was some sort of super technician, but because Fanuc would 1) get their technicians straight out of college, 2) train them on how the Fanuc CNC controllers worked, and 3) ship them to America for at least two years. Most of those kids had not even cut a real chip, and forget about knowing how to really troubleshoot a machine tool. Do you think that if we (the customers who use Panasonic, Omron, etc.) would make a big deal through an email campaign that these companies would take note and provide an American speaking technician for the American service area? I am picking on Panasonic because it is the latest PLC I have been using, but you can almost plug any companies name in here EXCEPT AutomationDirect. The AutomationDirect PLC may be old in the tooth technology wise (I own several 405 systems and one 05 PLC system), but they DO provide American born technical support technicians. I know this is not politically correct, but I believe that companies like AutomationDirect should be publicly commended for their efforts. I know the whole story behind AutomationDirect, so I know this type of support was born out from a business necessity, but I don't care how or why they got there, the fact is that they did. What do you think? Scott

Your problems don't seem to be with Panasonic doesn't seem to be of a technical nature nor does it need to be discussed on this forum. Either turn the thread back in a techical direction or drop it!

OUTSTANDING reply, it is apparent that you know so much more than I do, I bow to your intelligence. I'll just drop this because obviously this is too sensitive for you to discuss like adults.

Thanks, it is only after years of the college of hard knocks that I learned the error in your ways

Scott, No offence but this particular review happens to be about Panasonic HMI. Can you please post/contribute something (a fact, not emotion) that is in some way related to Panasonic HMI? You are welcome to start review or Automation Direct or any other product but your replies to original post have nothing to contribute to subject except that for some misterious reason you are upset with their tech support. There is no mention what that reason is, what product etc. Panic Mode