Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest david vinch

Step 5 basics editing problem

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am teaching myself to program on step5 and have sucessfully written and run a simple seal circuit. Now I would like to add another line where the sealed output will start a timer. I have written this in LAD and put a BE at the end of the program. All attempts to move or insert or any type of edit have resulted in KEY BLOCKED, or NON-TRANLATABLE errors in red. I have checked that the "do not modify" is not selected in OPTIONS. I have the step5 users manual and the 100u cpu manual and have poured over them for 4 days, What am I missing? Thanx in advance, Dave

Hi, please post the version number of the software that you are using? regards, Steve

My version is 7.1 of step5, I have no idea how old or troublesome that version is. I have previously only programmed cutler hammer d100's with primitive and simple dos. I am finding this step5 to be very complex and must admit that the # of hours spent so-far has been trying. Dave

I think what you are missing is to insert a new segment. In ladder this is probably the equivalent of a new rung. I think Control-N will do it but also look at the softkeys along the bottom of the screen. It could be F5? It's a while since I worked on Step 5. One thing to keep in mind is that Step 5 was originally written to run under CPM/86 a DOS competitor that died in the '80's. Some keyboard keys have totally different meaning e.g. INSERT is roughly the same as DOS RETURN.

Ok, Go to the end of your program and press F5 (Seg Fct) Then Press F5 again! (Insert) Then Press F1 (New) or F3 (from seg) F1 enters a new segment directly at the segment you are already at (shifts all existing segments one position) whilst F3 lets you enter a new segment wherever you want; you just enter a segment number (again all existing segments are shifted one place). Once you have finished editing your new segment press F7 (Enter). Hope this helps? Steve

Steve, Thanx a lot that was the ticket I am going to re-read section 5 of the manual I never thought that shifting segments had anything to do with adding an input . If I may , another question , in the TV input for a timer there are operand types of KT< IW< and DW. I am unsure as to the differentiation, there do not seem to be any descriptions. thanx again, Dave

Hi Dave, The TV input to the timer is the "Time Variable" eg: KT 10.2 In the above example the Time would be 10 seconds. The Time base (after the .) is as follows... .0 = x0.01 .1 = x0.1 .2 = x1 .3 = x10 So.... 10.0 = 0.1 sec 10.1 = 1sec 10.2 = 10sec 10.3 = 100sec BI is the timer value in Binary format DE is the timer value in BCD format Note that the "R"; "Q"; "BI" & "DE" parameters do not have to be used. KT is the "format" that the timer parameter (TV) uses. You would use KT 100.0 if you are entering the variable directly. Use DW if the variable is going to be "stored" or used from a Data Block (DW); or IW if directly from a Input Word (IW) via switches etc? Regards, Steve Edited by Moggie

I would like to continue, if Steve of another would like to assist. I have made the necessary insertions to add a timer to my simple seal circuit. ---I I 1.0 I-----------------------------------------( Q 2.1) I ---I Q 2.1 I--I (nc) I 1.1 I---I this is input 1.0 operating output 2.1 with a seal of Q 2.1 and norm. closed I 1.1(to break the seal when I want) in segment 2 I have added an on delay timer T0 with input Q 2.1, TV of kt 100.1, R of n.o. I 1.1, BI of dw20, DE of dw22 and Q of Q 2.2. A note to Steve: I tried to skip the R and BI ,DE entries but every time I would F7 to enter the cursor would pop right back until I put something in. So I transfer the blocks to the plc and try to start the plc and I get plc can't start go to istack for help. istack says: Stozus so I f7 Condition ERAB Cause TRAF last process was 1st scan I F2 to edit and I am taken to Seg 2 8 : A q 2.1 A : L kt 100.1 E : SD T0 10 : R T0 12 : L T0 14 : T DW 20 16 : LC T0 18 : T DW21 1A : A T0 1C : = Q 2.2 1E : BE The cursor is sitting on entry #16 I have deleted and re-written this several times, Again there must be something obvious that I am missing. I hope you can help. I am getting lots of practice navigating but I would like to see land I have made what I hope is a helpful contribution to another user who was looking for info on Vis Basic and to another who was looking for D100 software, I dont want to be just a user here I will contribute what little knowledge I have to others Dave

Hi, Just press the "DEL" key when the cursor is high-lighting the ?????????? when you do not want to enter anything in the "R"; "Q"; "BI" and/or "DE" parameters of the Timer. Also please note that before you can use DW's you must Open the Data Block by the command C DBxx where xx is the Data Block number to use (this DB must also exist in the PLC) Regards, Steve