Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neilr216

OMRON CS1W-CFI31 USB TO RS232

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone out there had any issues with going online to OMRON PLCs using this adapter? If so, what are your suggestions? We have experimented with adjusting the transmit and receive buffer settings as well as changing com ports to see if we get better performance. Most of the time it will communicate, but when it screws up the computer will crash to windows blue screen I just received a driver update from OMRON today and I will try it out. (Version 2.0.0.0) Thanks in Advance,

To connect to that PLC I have used the serial cable. I now that some serial to usb converters don't work as well in some laptops as in others. To solve the problem once for all, I think, you should pick the all lot (PLC, cable and converters) go to your Omron representative and explain him the situation. I'm sure they will be more than welcome to solve the problem for you. Regards, Miguel

Hello neilr216, If the PC crashes, how do you know that it is the CIF31 cable that is causing the problem? We use quite a few of these cables here, and have yet to have a problem. You know that the ("232") end of the CIF31 should NOT be directly connected to the PLC! Which PLC type are you using? (not that it should matter, but may be a factor!).

I assume you are working on a laptop.... The best way to connect is using a PCMCIA adapter. (much more stable and typically two ports available) I used different usb adapters and Omron's was quite good but there were some issues anyway when trying to go online with V7 inverters... Beegee

I've used the CIF31 for two years or so, and it works with everything I've tried. Pp

Me too. Running on an IBM laptop with WinXP SP2 with no issues. Andy.

Thanks to everyone for their response. In response to the 232 reference - we are using the CS1W-CN626 In respect to the blue screen crash - the only time it ever happens on the laptop is when you succeed in going online and sever the RS232 connection(say accidentally) - then it will crash immediately All of our connection problems are with the CS1G, not CQM1 or C200H (they are OK) I'm sorry but I don't think I provided enough details on the initial post. Thanks again,

One more thing - tried the new driver from OMRON and now can't go online to CS1Gs at all, wheras before we could but with uncertain results. Sorry for the choppy response - just kind of busy today!

I had big issues with this adapter, and every other USB/232 adapter I tried, with a HP XE3 laptop. The comms kept dropping out all the time. The problem was the laptop. Bought a new Compaq (HP anyway) and have not had a problem since.

Maybe interesting. Omron has released the 1.21 version of this driver which is Vista compatible. regards, MPM Edited by MPM

My laptop is also an HP - Compaq nx9600 Since reading your response, it's got me thinking that it is the laptop after all , and not the adapter. Thanks BobB

Hi, USB adaptor would not works in any case because it is powered by a 5v only (USB). RS232C specifications says +/- 12V. Often, you will connect with less than 2m or in clean environment (no invertor). On the field, I always bring my PCMCIA adpator which provide 2 RS232C ports (usefull) JP