Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mach390

VFD on Profibus

10 posts in this topic

I need to put a PowerFlex 40 on a Profibus network with a S7 416. I have the 22-Comm-P for the PowerFlex, but I am new to Siemens and not sure how to add this to the Profibus network. I can set most of the drive up through the HIM that came with it, but I could use some help with adding it to the existing network. Thank you for any help!

Hi Mach. You need to import the GSD file for the 22-COMM-P into STEP7 HW Configuration. The GSD file can be found here: http://www.ab.com/support/abdrives/22comm/...22commp_gsd.zip Then, in STEP7 HW Configuration, you can attach an 22-COMM-P as a slave to a Profibus network for which the S7 416 is the master. There will be some input and output words, maybe configurable. You will have to find the exact meaning of the i/o words in the documentation for the 22-COMM-P. Notice one thing. It is very probable that the i/o data for the 22-COMM-P must be transferred as "consistent data" i.e. as one complete block of data. For this you should use the S7 library functions SFC14/SFC15 DPRD_DAT/DPWR_DAT - for the onboard DP port on the S7 CPU, or FC1/FC2 DP_SEND/DP_RECV - for a DP port on a Profibus CP.

If it is being added to the end of the profibus, it will require the addition of a termination resistor as well as the removal of the resistor from the prior end node. If you are using the Siemens quick connect DP connectors, termination resistor is built in and can be turned off or on by a switch on the side. Like any other bus, you will have to assign profibus address and make sure the node number is not used by an existing node.

Thank you very much for the help, I belive I have the GSD files on a floppy from Rockwell. I plan on installing this tomorow and am using the Siemens connectors and it will be in the middle of a run. I will let you guys know if I run into any problems.

When adding the VFD to the network, do you need to manually assign the I/O address, or does it give it an automatic one? When I downloaded the new network with the 22-COMM-P, a lot of the existing I/O stopped, or at least was not reading correctly. In RSNetWorx I know there is a check box that you need to select if you don't want it to auto-map the I/O which will move the existing if it was entered manually. Is there something similar to this that I am missing?

STEP7 HW Configuration will automatically suggest free i/o adresses. But you can change them to some other addresses if you want to. You have to investigate how the Profibus address is set on the 22-COMM-P module. It may be with some dipswitches, or it may be configured somehow on the VFD. And what the various i/o adresses do, also require careful studying of the documentation.

The 22-COMM-P module's Profi bus adress is set through dip switches, which I have set to 65. Everything seemed to be going good unitll it was time to download to the processor, then some of the I/O stopped responding. I did not asign specific Inputs and Outputs for the module so that any conflics would be avoided.

Investigate the hardware diagnostics. In Simatic Manager, select the CPU, and the right-click for "PLC" .. "HW Diagnostic". Apart from that, when I change the Profibus hw configuration, I find that I have to cycle power to the slaves for them to read their configuration.

New to Siemens.  I am also trying to place a VFD on the step 7 416 Profibus network.  I believe the cable is correct and the Node address is correct but I get "Parameters must be assigned again"  Can someone  help?

Hi Bruce.

Have you confirmed you have an active Profibus connection with the node in the HW Config?

If so...check you have allocated the correction I/O configurations (if this is freely selectable, make sure you have the right amount of bytes for input and output). 

What about the inverter parameters and configuration, has this been fully configured?