Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaxrpc

Citect OPC Client Connecting

4 posts in this topic

Hi All, I am new to Citect 7.0 and OPC and i have some problems with connecting to the Cimetrics BACNet OPC Server using Citect OPC driver. I am not sure if i got all the configurations right for my citect portion. I am listing the configurations, hope those who are familiar can verify it for me thanks. Sorry forgot about the problem...the problem is when i try to display a value from the tag, i got #COM instead of a value. I can see the OPC server when using other OPC Client. Here's my I/O device configuration Name : OPCDevice address : Cimetrics.BACnetOPCserver Protocol : OPC Here's my variable tag configuration Tag Name : OPCTAG2 Address : device(1967).analog-output(1).cov-increment Data Type : Real --->> (in OPC it is a R4 datatype so i assume it is real) Cluster : myClusterName I/O Device Name : OPCDevice --->> (the 1 i created above) thanks, Eugene Edited by jaxrpc

Wow, that's an ambiguous error. Could be COM/DCOM, or it could be short for "communication error", or it could be a translated quality coming from the end OPC Server. The trick would be whether that's coming from the OPC Server and telling you that it can't connect to the BACNet device, or if it's coming from the OPC Client and telling you it can't talk to the OPC Server. If I were troubleshooting this, I'd want to use a simple test OPC Client to verify that the OPC Server is working properly. OPC Explorer is freely downloadable http://matrikonopc.com/products/opc-deskto...c-explorer.aspx and pretty easy to use. You could use it to connect to the OPC Server and verify: 1. That COM/DCOM is configured correctly. 2. That the OPC Server can connect to the end devices. 3. That your tag syntax is correct Note: OPC Explorer is not a replacement for Citect, it's just used for testing. If you're still having issues with the OPC Server connecting to the end devices, you could swap in a demo of MatrikonOPC's BACNet OPC Server. It can automatically scan and find devices if you want it to, and that takes a lot of the configuration out of the way. It's available as a free 30 day demo here: http://matrikonopc.com/opc-drivers/1817/index.aspx Adriel Michaud MatrikonOPC

I am not familiar with ver 7. But in previous versions of Citect #COM indicates that Citect cannot communicate with the IO Device. If you can communicate between your OPC server and another OPC Client as Adriel suggests and it is OK. Then check the Citect.ini parameters related to OPC. I 'm sorry this is a bit vague but I havn't used version 7 and I believe that it is very different (as far as OPC is concerned) to previous versions. We have a large project in version 6.1, intially we had #COM errors displayed but we found that if we changed some INI settings we could get the system to respond. These settings are below [OPC] FailOnBadData=0 FailOnUncertain=0 GoOfflineForBadTag=0 CAUTION !!! As I said earlier these settings worked for OUR project in version 6.1. They may not even be available (or may not be required) in version 7.

Hi guys... thanks for all the replies...i mistyped the tag name..that's why..