Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
viecko

Micrologix 1500 t an Ultra 3000 Servo Drive

5 posts in this topic

I'm' trying to connetc a MicroLogix 1500 to an Ultra 300 Servo Drive. Channel 1 of the ML 1500 is configured in user mode with an ascii driver. The problem is that we need to send commands such a enable drive, disable drive, etc. from PLC to the drive. I'm using an AWA instruction to send the string command (example of enable command: ":00 06B 1 01 66") to the drive, but it doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure that you can enable the drive via the serial port? I wouldn't think it would be good practice but if you do it I would think that the physical enable input must also be made. Your checksum doesn't look right. Do you have a link to the manual? I can't seem to find it on the site right now

Also you say your using the AWA instruction. What are you appending? You should be using an AWT. I would suggest opening the hyperterminal on your computer and execute the instruction to assure the format is correct or if the ASCII is actuall being sent.

One of the fastest ways to nail down user communications is to use a PC comms program like hyperterminal or ProComm Plus. Once you get that done, then, depending on the complexity of the application, get ready to put together a quite large bunch of ladder logic. With AWA, be sure to check the append character on the channel configuration page. If you use the append character, it will be added to the end of every AWA instruction, and must always be acceptible to the receiving device. If you can send a string from hyperterminal to enable the drive, then receive that same string from the SLC, you will have it ironed out, then the real work begins...building all the strings, and triggering them properly. This module may be of interest. . .it could end up saving you a lot of time: Quartech 9112 I have used their DH+ unit to read values from a PLC5 and send them automatically to a group of Ultra 200 series drives. I am not sure if they have a ready made application for your Ultra300. I know they have stuff for the 100/200 and for the Ultra 3000 drives. I did like their products' ease of use and reliability on DH+ though. Paul Edited by OkiePC

It's intersting that you bring this up. We are currently doing a machine with AB Micrologix 1100 to Ultra 3000. As OkiePC suggested we are using a Quartech unit which speaks from one port to the PLC via the PLC's serial port and the other to the Ultra 3000. I am not directly doing the coding of this particular section of the machine but I have watched it work on the test bench. All functions are controllable. It may save a lot of headaches. Edited by b_carlton