Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rob5029

laptop hibernation causing comunications errors

12 posts in this topic

My Dell laptop was connected to a CS1 PLC via the periferal port and was quite hapily monitoring the PLC when the laptop decided to go into hibernation. this laptop will now nolonger comunicate to any PLC through the serial port, although ethernet comunications are working fine. when i try to connect to the PLC, the comms light on the CPU flashes as though its trying to comunicate, but CX-Programmer always returns a connection failure messsege and the comms light on the CPU goes out. I can also program the NS10 HMI using the serial port with no problems. does anyone know why the comms port seems to be tied up, or how to un tie the problem? I've tried the CX-one repair, and uninstall/re-install all to no effect. thanks in advance Rob.

I've had this problem with Allen Bradley PLCs too. Windows hibernation is NOT a good thing when using serial communications and I generally disable it while working on the floor. I'd look at the Com port settings in Device Manager to see if there's a port conflict or the baud rate changed. I'd bet that the HMI & the PLC have different default baud rate settings. HTH! Susan

Most software using a COM port emulates its settings regardless what it is set at in the device manager. It's probably not the PC COM port that gets stuck when the laptop goes into hibernate but the peripheral port of the PLC. Power cycle the CPU and all should be fine. I always configure the power management of my laptop for "always on" use. Only put it to sleep when I want to.

I never let my laptop sleep..../ hybernate for those very annoying comm;s problems for starters....

unfortunatly thats not the case, the PLC comunicates fine to other laptops, and the laptop in question will not comunicate to any PLC. I suspect that the problem lies within the OMRON software, but when you uninstall it it leaves so many threads throughought the operating system that it has exactly the same error after the reinstall. anyone know of an effective way of uninstalling CX-ONE or will it require a complete reinstall of Windows?

Very surprising, because that's exaclty what happened to me the last time I accidentally pressed the hibernate button. I couldn't re-connect after waking it up, was looking for connection settings in the software but once I power cycled the PLC it connected again. The only effective way I know of getting a fresh CX-One install is by doing a fresh O/S install...

I have been able to uninstall everything one bit at a time - including updates - delete folders and then run Registery Mechanic to clean out all the rubbish and disassociated files. This has worked pretty well for me - about to do it again.

Registry mechanic seems to have done the trick! Many thanks!

Hello all, I just get this problem few days ago, unfortunately i didn't know about this thread before. I already tried to re install the OS and CX one but the laptop still can not communicate to the PLC ( CJ1M CPU 22 ) everytime i try to connect to the PLC, the comm light on the CPU flashes as though its trying to comunicate, but it stop with an alarm that CX programmer is failed to connect to PLC How to get Registry Mechanic? Do i still need it after i re install the OS? Regards ahuat

I you just re-installed the OS and did not re-format the hard drive - Yes!! You buy it from a computer software dealer - it is quite inexpensive.

try to Start --> Log Off then Log in again and test whether your serial port got work again or not.

Still doesn't work, i also try to use some registry cleaner program, but still doesn't work. When i try to communicate, the comm light on the CPU was flashing but always occur alarm communication fail. Regards ahuat