Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCWeaver

RSLinx - Lite installed instead of Professional (Pro disk and license)

13 posts in this topic

New install of RSView (Windows XP Pro) and install of RSLinx from CD labeled Professional. License code for RSView registered correctly, Licence code for RSLinx registered correctly, but the window title states "Lite" version of RSLinx. Does anyone know why this would happen? Better yet - how to get to Professional level which is what we paid for. I anticipate that later today we will try a re-install, but I was wondering if the "pro" did not show because some other tools (extensions) were not installed.

what type of activation do have? factorytalk activation or floppy activation Have you intall the activation? only installing the software with original serial number will not activate to Professional. you have install the activation what version of rslinx do you have?

If you install RSlink PRO whitout activation key, you got RSlink lite. Just install your activation.

FactoryTalk. RSLinx version 2.50.00.20 (CPR 7) RSView 7.20.00 (CPR 7) Avtivation did not take - Although the screen prompts asked for SN & Product key and responded in such a fashion as to lead me to believe the products were activated. Thanks to your confirmation I am now working on REALLY activating the products.

You a key on disk or you have a webkey? If disk: Go to start menu -> Rockwell software -> utilities -> move activation 32 bit insert you floppy disk (don't write protect it) and clic move a to c. The key you'll be transfered from your floppy disk a: to your hard disk if you want to check you acivation installed, select move c to a, you'll see all activation on your disk, clic cancel to exit

I see now that the "production" computer has the license for RSView and RSLinx. I was attempting to install RSLinx on a "remote" computer to assist in troubleshooting some PLCs that are located several hundred feet away. The license (of course) will not allow me to install on two machines. I mis-understood what we purchased, I thought we purchased an "extra" copy for future modifications. So, now if I read your last post correctly (slcman) I can "transfer" the license to a floppy? Then I can run on either machine? Instead of floppy can I use a USB stick? I also want to be sure that by moving the license, I will not jeopardize the production install.

FOLLOWUP question - I wonder if it is possible that the "production" computer does not require RSLinx and if I can transfer RSLinx to the "remote" computer for PLC configuring.

to the best of my knowledge... the only reason for PRO is to be able to use the OPC/DDE data transfer stuff. If you aren't using that, then Lite is just fine.

if all you need to do is “PLC programming” stuff, then RSLinx LITE should take care of it ... the extra horsepower of the non-Lite versions is for DDE/OPC and data transfer type stuff for SCADA/HMI applications ... I’d recommend that you try your “remote” computer first and see if what’s already out there will meet your needs ... based on what you’ve posted so far, I’ll bet more than pocket change that it will ... if it turns out that you really do need two copies of RSLinx non-Lite on a pretty much regular basis, then look into buying another copy ... moving the activation is probably going to get old in a hurry - if you have to do it fairly often ... PS Edit ... pabeader beat me to the punch by one minute ... must type faster ... must type faster ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

If you transfert license you don't copy it, you transfert it. From pc to floppy and from floppy to new pc. If you original license is on a floppy, you can only use original floppy to transfert licence. no USB stick, consider USB floppy option if you didn't have a floppy on pc. USB floppy work well for tranfert and it's cheaper. good luck

Think about this. With floppy based activation RSLinx only looks for the license when it first starts. But the real issue is this. If you are using Linx for data transfer then you start it once and leave it running. You need PRO/License If you are using it for any other reason. You can either start it when you need it, or leave it running. In this case you don't need PRO/License

I have a working copy of RSLinx Gateway on my work PC. I recently learned how to remote into my work PC from home for troubleshooting since most of our ciritical equipment is accesible via this gateway. I overcame the problems of being unable to start RSLogix via remote, so I left it open with no project when i left one day last week. RSLinx was not running. I logged in via remote desktop from home. I opened a project and clicked go online. RSlogix went online just fine, and I was quite impressed watching how reasonably fast I could watch my position trakcing logic follow box position values down the belt. I played around a little with remote desktop settings, and then logged off. At work the next day, I opened my excel sheet which monitors box traffic via RSLinx DDE. I got an error message complaining that RSLinx Lite doesn't support the DDE topic. I checked the Help > About tab, and it said RSLinx Classic for RSView. Which I think is the same thing as RSlinx Lite. I shutdown RSLinx, and then opened it again and the Help > About > version showed Gateway again. And, my excel sheet immediately came to life. Bottom line, if you remote in, the remote PC RSLinx app (or RSLogix) will look for a license on the PC you're remoting in FROM. If it doesn't find it, it will open as the Lite version. RSLogix does not have a Lite version, so it won't start at all. Don't know if that is the same situation you were in, just wanted to add my detailed story for future solution searchers while the details are fresh in my head. Paul Edited by OkiePC

Mostly use VNC when I want to do PLC work. Remote desktop for other stuff. But I did find that if I am the one logged into my computer at work. and I use the same username and password to Remote desktop into it. I don't start a NEW session. Instead it uses the existing session and therefore leaves RSLinx and any other programs running just like they were. I don't log out when I leave at night. I just lock the computer. Works GREAT! Edited by pabeader