Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nighthawk

PV Firmware on PCMCIA

5 posts in this topic

I tried loading the firmware for a PV1400e from the Panelview Firmware Utility to a PCMCIA card (2711-NM12 - 1MB Memory Card) and it failed saying "Error 11: The memory is not large enough to hold the new firmware. Use a PCMCIA card with larger memory." It seems that 1meg should be big enough for firmware, but I guess not. Does anyone know what size of card I need for the firmware?

I haven't done this in a long time. Is the PCMCIA card in your laptop's PC Card slot ? Most laptops today won't properly support the 2711-NM1x cards, which use a technology called Linear Flash. You might try deleting any stored applications on the card. Can you load the firmware over the serial connection to a PV1400e ? Speaking of 1400e's.... I saw at Automation Fair that A-B is mining the boneyard for motherboards and refitting PV1400e chassis with LCD flatscreens and power supplies that meet the original temp/vibration/ specs for the terminal. The PV1400e hasn't looked so good for decades.

I had a 32MB card and it worked ok for me: http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=ind...;id=79&c=11

Hi Ken, Many thanks for the reply. The firmware did install via serial to the terminal. Oddly it failed to download from a PC, but using my laptop it worked. Same PC works fine with RSLinx serial and other serial. The error occurred when it was clearing memory of the terminal and same for the card. I will try the suggestion for clearing the card's memory. That sounds like a good idea. New LCD screens on the 1400e would look good!

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the link -- it applies to non-enhanced PVs. The 1400e will not work with Panelbuilder 32 and I'm pretty sure the only way to update the firmware is the utility on the Panelbuilder 1400 disk. Yes, I'm sure a 32 MB card would hold the firmware, but that seems like overkill. If AB does not specify size of card for firmware storage, seems like any and all should work 256 to . After all, it is only the firmware, not a big application, right? AHHH!!! I just found my answer: I was looking in the User Manual for reference to card sizes and found under the specs that the PCMCIA card is used for PV1200 series F and above, "1.75 MB for firmware; application storage up to 2.25 MB for enhance F and above terminals." That's some BIG FIRMWARE!