Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edda

Locking pages in Internet Explorer 6.0

5 posts in this topic

Is it possible to lock IE6.0 from all sites thats not approved so that you only can for example, access www.mrplc.com on it... We have a webbased reportsystem witch the operators are suposed to report time, errors etc but they are also using the computer to surf the internet...???

The best method would be to block the machine from accessing the internet at the firewall. How to do that would depend upon your firewall. Mine, I just add the MAC address of the machine to a Deny list and they are blocked from leaving the network.

But we still need to be abel to access the internet beacuse the reportsystem is webbased (the reportinterface is a webpage and everyting is saved on a SQL database at a server somewhere over the net) but I just wont to be able to access the reportsite...not more...

Is your web based reporting system on your own network which is your private intrAnet? You will still be able to access anything that is on a web server inside your own network. You won't be able to browse outside of your own network to anything on the world wide web, or the intErnet.

Programming access control lists at your router/firewall has been suggested already. That is certainly an option. 1. You could set up a proxy server on your network. This is a point that controls internet access and also caches pages. This gives you the best granularity of control if you need to go there. 2. If you don't want them to access the Internet AT ALL, but your web based reporting system is on your Intranet, simply don't give them 'net access. Get rid of their "remote gateway" or block their access at the router. This may need to be combined with a Windows policy that doesn't let them change the network settings. Please describe your network setup and what they need access to in more detail if you want me to get more specific. Edited by Nathan