Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest pooch70

communicating

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to communicate between a Bailey DCS and Control Logix Processor through a 1770 KF2 interface on DH+. I am recieving the integer files ok but when I try and transfer a Floating Point file it will not show up whether i am sending it to the bailey or trying to recieve it. Any Thoughts

Does the DCS use the same IEEE floating point format as the ControLogix?

Yes the Bailey DCS uses the same IEEE floating point format as the AB PLC

Do you have a ControlLogix REAL-type tag array set up in the "Map PLC/SLC Messages" function in RSLogix 5000 ? The ControlLogix needs that mapping table in order to be able to interpret PLC-5 type addressed messages from a legacy device like the 1770-KF2. Does the Bailey system give you any kind of error code ? How about the ControlLogix MSG instruction ?

I do have the Real Tag array set up in the Control Logix Program, and I am not getting any error messages. It seems as if the message just disappears. Another question I have is if any body has any info on the Kwikedit program that ABB uses to configure the communications between the DCS and the PLC.

A MSG instruction in the ControlLogix cannot simply "go away"... it always has a completion (.DN) bit or an error (.ER) bit and error code. I don't know how Bailey handles errors. Try unplugging the 1770-KF2 and find out ! It's possible for a 1756-DHRIO under heavy load to drop a message or two out of many thousands, but ordinary retries in firmware usually makes that transparent to users. There's nothing different about the configuration of the message that carries an INT versus a REAL: it's just the Datatype field and the payload itself. Double-check that "PLC/SLC Message" mapping and be certain that the Logix array is large enough to handle any message requests that come in. I've seen that happen with DH+ PanelView terminals; the terminal asks for "N7:100" and the mapping only goes to 100 elements (which are 0-99 !).