Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Nuisance Bubble Popup From Windows XP

7 posts in this topic

Every Time I print something a little comic book type information bubble pops up to the left and above my clock {actually above a printer icon} on the task bar. It tells me that job yadda yadda was printed on printer such and such. This bubble remains on top for about 10 seconds before dissappearing. It can be a real pain sometimes. Any ideas where to turn it off at?

can you post screen shot? i've been using HijackThis to detect and remove unwanted browser addons etc.

Bob, I don’t have the same bubble but others that are similar and have wondered the same thing myself. I get the local connection, AVG information and one about hidden icons plus others but I just click the X to close them. I would like to disable these bubble also so I will watch this thread and maybe learn something. Thanks, Bob O. Edit...Added Here is a link for balloon tips but it also states that they can't be disabled for individual programs. http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lo...A256DEB001F50A5 I read this same information at MS. Edited by Bob O

I get that too BobL, anytime I send a print job to a network printer. What you can do is under the start menu, settings, then taskbar, select the printer icon and then select never display. The downside, is you have to do this for every network printer that you use.

Download TweakUI from Microsoft and install it. It has an option in there to turn off all Bubble messages as well as a bunch of other things that I think you'll like.

Not only that but my Network Policies reload at each login and overwrite my chocies. Ken's idea works great if I exercise the option each night. Anybody know what registry key it is writing to?

If you can find which registry key it is, and your group policy keeps changing it every night, then you can go to that key, and change the permissions for it so that no one has rights to change it. Basically remove all rights to that key. Then when the GP tries to change it, it will just fail on that particular update and move onto the next one. That might work out for you. I just went through the entire GP listing and there is nothing in there for turning off balloons for the printers. There's one for offline file reminders, but nothing for printers.