Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
welly1983

Communicating with a Panelview 550

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys, We have just bought a new Panelview 550 terminal, but we have having problems communicating from the PC to the PV550. It is connected to a SLC 5/04 which can be seen through RSLinx, but we have tried everything that we can think of and still cannot get comms to the panelview. Any help would be much appreciated!

how you are trying to communicate from rslinx by DF1 driver or by DH+ check the baud rate setting in PV. what is the Comm LED status of the PV? what is Cat no. for the PV

The only absolute rule for PanelView questions (especially about comms) is that you must post the exact part number for the PanelView. This tells us exactly which network is connected between the controllers. You can connect PanelView terminals to an SLC-5/04 via DH+, DF1, DH485, DeviceNet, RIO, or ControlNet. It sounds to me like you have the PV550 connected over DH+ to the PanelView, and have your computer connected to the RS232 port of the SLC-5/04. To browse "through" the SLC-5/04 to the DH+ network, you must configure the "DF1 Passthrough" function. Look up the details in RSLogix 500 Help or in the User Manual.
1 person likes this

The PV is a 2711-k5a2, series H, the comms led is flashing, and the baud rate is set at 19200. the slc is connected to a pc by DH+, a laptop by a 1784-PCM5 cable coming from a RS 403-370 adapter, so is on DH+ as well, and the PV via a 1747-C10 cable into the RS232 port. The laptop and the PV are connected via a SLC500 PIC (1747-PIC) Edited by welly1983

If the problem is strictly with upload/download to a PC, you can avoid the problem entirely by using a Flash ATA card in the PCMCIA slot on the back of the panelview. The PC recognizes the flash card just likw it would with a USB thumb drive. A nice benefit to this is it transfers the program MUCH faster than the serial port!

Your description doesn't make sense to me: 2711-K5A2 terminal has a DH485 interface only. It includes both a DH485 interface plug (the so-called AMP connector) and an RJ-45 connector that is a "configuration" connection to the DH485 network. These are not separate ports but rather two wiring connectors to the DH485 network. The K5A2 terminal does not have an RS-232 serial printer port like the "A3" or "A9" terminal part numbers do. The 1747-C10 cable has an AMP connector on one end, and an RJ45 connector on the other. Neither of these is compatible with the DB9 connector on the SLC-5/04 Channel 0 RS232 port. So, there must be something else in between the 2711-K5A2 PanelView terminal and the SLC-5/04 Channel 0 serial port. You also have the challenge of making the 1747-PIC work with a modern computer, but I say you have to have a valid network before you take that step. ----------------------------------- For those of you playing along at home: YES, you can "pass through" an SLC-5/04 from the DH+ network to a DH485 network connected to Channel 0. There's a technote describing the correct settings in RSLinx and inside the SLC-5/04 Status data table in the RA Knowledgebase as Answer ID # 4684. I am not recommending that method to Welly1983 yet because I don't think his PanelView terminal is correctly connected to the SLC-5/04 serial port. --------------------------- All this begs the question: what's the right way to connect an 2711-K5A2 to an SLC-5/04 serial port ? You need: 1761-NET-AIC The "AIC+" converter from RS232 to RS485 electrical signalling. 1747-CP3 or equivalent "null modem" RS232 cable 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. This is the common MicroLogix RS232 programming cable. 1761-CBL-AS03 or -AS09 to connect the AIC+ converter to the PanelView terminal. You don't use a 1747-PIC box in this case, but you still use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. Use one of the RS232 cables to connect your PC to the AIC+. Use the other RS232 cable to connect the SLC-5/04 Channel 0 to the AIC+. It doesn't matter which. Edited by Ken Roach

Hi guys. Sorry bout the late response. Turns out you go on holiday and someone else fixes it while your away. Still not entirely sure what they did, but they got it working. Thanks to everyone who replied to try and help!

hi please help pv550 hmi communication cable pin out 

Just now, pv550 said:

hi please help pv550 hmi communication cable pin out 

Please tell us the complete catalog number of your PV.

Do you need the cable for a connection with a PC or a PLC? Or both?

If PLC tell us which PLC you have.

Edited by Mickey

i need the cable for both and i use the plc is slc500 and micrologix 1200

Edited by pv550

i don't know the catalog number of my pv.because the panel is damge

2711-B5A5 this the catalog number of pv550

8 hours ago, pv550 said:

2711-B5A5 this the catalog number of pv550

Your PV supports DH485 protocol. ( with a RS232 connection)

For your PC you will need a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) or a memory card to upload/download the PV's program.

For your PLC you need a straight through cable.

2711-NC13 for a SLC with a serial port. Or additional hardware ( a AIC+ and cables) to connect to a SLC with a DH485 port.

Tell us which SLC you have.

2711-NC21 for a micrologix

PVcable.pdf

Edited by Mickey

thank u very much sir and try this procedure

hi  guys i need some help  in my pv550 hmi catlog number is 2711P-T6C20D series c. so i want connect slc 500 plc to pv550 .

i want communication cable detail,in ethernet port or serialport.

2711P-T6C20D is not a PanelView 550, but is a PanelView Plus 600

PanelView 550 catalog & manual, page 19 http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

PanelView Plus 600 manual, page 23 http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um001_-en-p.pdf

Your HMI model has ports Ethernet, RS-232 and USB, plus has a communication module interface (for add-on modules)

PanelView Plus 600 RS-232 cables, page 28 http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um001_-en-p.pdf