BITS N BYTES

CX-One AUTO UPDATE topic

75 posts in this topic

A Yes, and the system does not offer us these updates on our single SEAT installations !! We still are at V7.1, V2.0 for these products with no updates listed. Nibroc

I'll pin this one so Omron can stay "on top" of things... Further comments and suggestions on the CX-One update program are welcome.

What does this mean? (The attached image below) If I click on 'Learn More', if just reads the same thing in a web browser. My updates are complete. Is it simply stating when CXONE updates were available? If so, why would it be an inconvenience? Is there a list of the revisions with descriptions? For example, what are the bug fixes, functional enhancements, new equipment support? ...just found it. I RTFM, it's in section labeled Upgrade Information. I have them. I don't know if sharing them is a good idea. It appears there are different versions for the number of seats as well as different versions regionally. Plus, the latest updates are 424MB, I don't know where it would be appropriate to upload them. We have a 3 seat license and our CX-Programmer was upgraded to V7.2. Edited by IO_Rack

Hello All, This would not be a good idea. The Updates are region specific - hence Europe will wait for v3.0 for CX-Programmer 7.2 (inc. SFC). For the rest of the world, v2.1 is available (or should be) as an upgrade... Yes BobB, including SFC and ST at Program level!!! I believe attempting to upgrade, using the downloads from another region, will cause all manner problems to the currently installed applications. Plus, I would doubt the legality of doing so as well Enjoy the SFC you lucky non-Europeans. (P.S. Any queries regarding SFC - you know where to post ) Edited by anonymous

Hi anonymous I'm reading this as Europe will have to pay for SFC and other good things, whilst the ROTW don't? Oh fiddlesticks

Hello Pp, 'fraid so... Don't ask me why...

I wonder how all this will affect me - I registered my software in Europe so I could download updates - there were no updates available on the Asian server. I think I registered in Asia also. Could be interesting.

So did I. I wonder if this is why CX-P v7.2 is not available for me ... ?? What can I do to fix this ? Nibroc

To have software upgrades and versions for differing geographical regions seems like the wet dream of your typical "Marketing Guru". Probably graduated with an MBA [Management By A..h...s]. For Heaven's sake OMRON quit messing around, fire the MBA and listen to your customers. Stick with ONE version and ONE update for CX-ONE on a global basis and this thread will rapidly disappear!

Can you translate that in Japanese LOL

in Japanese: ????????????????????????????????????????????"?????????" ????????????????MBA [ A..h... s ???] ??????????? ?????OMRON ?????????????MBA ??????????????????? ?????????????CX-ONE ????1 ??????1 ?????????????????! Banker

Hi All, Quick summary of the features in the new version of CX-One: - TWO new IEC languages (SFC & ST) - Improved integration between CX-P & CX-D (variable sharing + simulation) - New data types in CX-P (Strings and global arrays) - Error Simulation - Compare function for FB's - Routing table transfer to MULTIPLE PLCs (no need to keep moving the cable) - Conversion support for C500/C120/C**P programs! - Beautiful font support in CX-Designer - etc etc... What is planned in the next version of CX-One: - Mainly support for a new PLC... Omron Europe stand by a statement to our customers that we don't charge for device support in our software - instead we charge for features and benefits that are designed to save you the customer money by simplifying your development. And what a lot of new features in the new version! We accept the criticsim that we should be globally ONE. Our solution to this is to (GLOBALLY) introduce from next year a maintenance contract. Pay once per year and recieve all the software free of charge - features & device support. Watch the Omron web for more information on this over the coming months. Thanks for all your honest and frank comments - it is noticed and it does make a difference. James. P.S. how did you know I have an MBA

Welcome to MrPLC James and thank you for sharing this news A lot of goodies coming up and it's good to know and appreciated that we are being watched I definitely like the support contract idea!

Ah James - welcome aboard. I spent 25 years in sales and management, quite a lot of that with an Omron disty, and one of the great lessons one learns in sales is that you can learn more and gain greater benefit from listening to your customers needs. Too many times in the past manufacturers have developed things to satisfy their own needs or what the "boys in the back room" felt they should be producing. As users/customers we have all noticed that Omron have taken notice and it is appreciated very much. We are all trying to make a buck (read survive) and good tools cut down the amount of time we spend writing software and commissioning jobs. Sometimes we have felt that all was in vain I am sure and that no one was watching. It is extremely pleasing that you have responded here. Too often we all feel that we are left in the dark as to the direction these issues are taking. Come back anytime and keep us up to date. It is greatly appreciated. As you have probably gathered, the download one at a time issue is a real pain. Further, the updater does not "remember" was has been downloaded and just present a screen of what is still available for download. One has to search again and that is very slow. I understand that the search involves checking what one has installed as far as updates go but being able to download all at once and then going away and doing something productive is crucial to busy people. With respect to a global maintenance program, this annual maintenance contract issue was canvassed in Ozz, and probably the shaky isles, some years ago. The general reaction from customers was that they would rather pay for the updates when they were available. The US apparently has been conditioned to maintenance contracts but we have not here. That would be a really good issue to canvas with Omron customers all over the world quite frankly. I think the negative reaction here in Ozz was primarily due to several manufacturers charging a fortune for software and then charging a fortune again for maintenance contracts. They seem to think that once thay have got you they have got you for good and charge accordingly. One of the great things that Omron have done is make a full suite of software available at a reasonable price and also made the updates available easily for their users. One does not have to buy fifteen sets of software every time a different job comes along and then pay fifteen different maintenance contracts to keep all the programs up to date. The two things that I like most in the new features, at this stage, is decent font support in CX-D - the clunky fixed display fonts were awful when placed next to the other fonts one was able to place on the screen. Windows font support these days is essential to make a job look good. I will investigate over the weekend and see what has been provided. The other great advance for me is routing table support from one point instead of haveing to walk all over a job to set things up. I am quoting a job at the moment with about 40 PLCs in it. Nightmare to set that up without central support. I am sure I will appreciate the other advances as time goes by. New PLC? Will have to wait and see I guess but that will get a few tongues wagging. By the way, is CX-One Vista compatible yet? That is a big question. Also, are there plans for placing the CompoNet, Profibus and EthernetI/P configurators into CX-Integrator? I understand the EthernetI/P configurator is also a stand alone item at the moment. Once again, thanks for your response.

So now back to my original problem. Ran AUTOUPDATE on 2 licensed seats of CX-ONE 2.01 [Laptop with XP-PRO and desktop with XP-HOME]. Laptop updated to CX-Programmer V7.2 and CX-Designer 2.1 Desktop updated to CX-Programmer V7.1 and CX-Designer 2.0 I now have different versions on my two seats. If I make changes on the laptop that involve newer functions not available to my desktop I AM TOTALLY SC....D. What needs to be done to resolve this issue NOW????? OMRON distributor?? OMRON tech support?? MRPLC?? PLEASE HELP!!!! PS I can "smell" an MBA miles away!! Edited by BITS N BYTES

Not really clean but it will work I guess: uninstall CX-One on the laptop reinstall CX-One on the laptop run Auto Update on laptop and save updates to disk install updates on desktop

Hello BobB, Yes it is. From the CX-One Introduction Guide (on a new install, not the upgrade!)... Doc1.doc Edited by anonymous

... CX-Designer auto updates should include any updated NS firmware versions to match ?? After downloading CX-D V2.1 with NS firmware V7 functionality - I discovered that I didn't have the V7 to match! - my installation still only offered V6.6 ... Nibroc

So there is no RecoverUpdate_7 folder in C:\Program Files\OMRON\CX-One\CX-Designer ?

No, The original RecoverUpdate_6_6 was still there even though CX-D offerred all the V7 functionality - had to get the 7 version from our local Omron Rep - who had to track it down x Australia ... These files should be included in the auto update ?? .. Nibroc

The "OMRON" gods are listening!! Recently ran AutoUpdate on both my laptop [WinXP Pro} and desktop [Win XP Home] both updated to CX-Programmer 7.2 and CX-Designer 2.1. Only problems were:- 1. As mentioned in previous post CX-Designer fails to install recover update 7.0. 2. Desktop [Win XP Home] will NOT install latest version of CX-Position. During installation it says that CX-Position is NOT installed and will NOT perform update. 3. Different versions of CX-Server!! Build numbers are different? Anyone have a solution for above issues. Other than these issues, AutoUpdate [though still not perfect] is getting better. Would still recommend to DOWNLOAD updates first, even though this is time consuming and THEN use the autoupdate feature. You will then always have the update *.exe files available should you need them. Edited by BITS N BYTES

After installing CX Common components / CPS Update V2007.10.021, CX-Programmer crashed when opening a -previously working- CXP project. When I uninstalled the update and reinstalled an older version I had on disk (2.00_2) the CXP file opened again sucessfully. Don't know if there is a particular IO table in my file that is causing the problem or that there is a general fault in the update but should any of you run in to this than you know what to do.

Hello PdL, Not come across anything like that. Any chance of posting the cxp file?

Hi anonymous, Still trying to figure out what is going on. I wanted to reproduce this so again I installed V2007.10.021, and CXP crashed. But after removing the update and re-installing V2.00_2 crashed as well. It seems to be project related though because I can open other CXP files successfully. Only thing I can think of is I have 2 TS562 cards configured in a CJ1 which I know is no CPS file of in the previous CPS installation (at least no configurable parameters) I will PM you the file.

just obtained and installed the cx-one 3.0. register at the site - all went ok. start software update tool, finds 4 updates allready. ok, not the problem, but look at the sizes of it: CX Common Components/CPS Updates 18Mb, cx-integrator update 31Mb, cx-programmer update 73 Mb and cx-designer update 121 Mb. and in short desrcipt there is just some minor improvements, bug repairs etc. what's the deal? so soon and so big. Edited by tashinz