Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tcpdump

Databases

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have any capabilities in Database Management Systems (DBMS) as a part of their SCADA skillset? If so, do you use proprietory databases that are included in SCADA software or are you using standard DBMSes like Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, etc... Do you think that developing skills in databases are useful?

We are using SQL Server compatable database for most everything now. I understand just enough to be dangerous having grown up dith DBASE and Access in a former life.

If one were to learn database skills for the first time, is SQL what they should focus on?

Yep, it is the standard for query languages (although many variations exist for different implementations like SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle etc). Others exist, but are mostly used only in very special situations. Upcoming variants of query languages are different variations of OQL (object query languages) and XML-based databases but there really isn't any standardization in those areas (and OQLs usually build on SQL), so I would recommend learning these specifically for the DBs you are using. I would however also try to learn a bit about database design, normalizing relational databases etc, perhaps even some useful tools for DB design like the Entity-Relationship model.