Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rod_Hackney

VB6 to VB.net migration

5 posts in this topic

I have a Wonderware system that runs a few VB6 programs. Anyone have advice on converting VB6 code to VB.net. Since VB6 is no longer available. VB.net has a conversion utlitity but wanted to know if anyone has used it or would it be better to just rewrite code in VB.net?

I'm taking a intro VB.Net 2005 class right now and have experimented with converting VB 6.0 code. The conversion program "converts" about 90% of the code, but tells you where and why old code that needs to be handled manually. That said, I think it's just as easy to rewrite the app so that you get proficient in the new IDE and debugger for future support. My two cents.

Let me second the write code from scratch in .net approach. I think you'll find microsoft has a free version of .net you can download from microsoft.com.

I find it easier to convert first and see what is different. Some things like database access and others were completely different for me. Those areas will need to be re-written from scratch. It really depends on the code you are starting with. Some programs convert well others don't. Edited by GerryM

I've downloaded it but I have a question. Does the free version let you create deployable active X components, or does it only run in interpreter mode from within the IDE? I have a VB6 active X that I would like to update.