Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ron Beaufort's new venture

27 posts in this topic

from gravitar: as a matter of fact, a customer I’ve had for years just called up last Wednesday with the same request ... this is a guy working for a small company who’s sent me at least 9 students in the past ... he’s been writing the PLC-5 and SLC-5/04 programs for his previous employer - but now he’s moved on to another job ... they’re planning to use mostly ControlLogix and/or CompactLogix for their new projects ... based on what this guy already knows about the older platforms, we came up with an estimate of three days to smooth out the learning curve for ControlLogix ... he’s running the price I gave him by his budget people now - and hopefully we’ll be able to get things rolling soon ... he’s wanting to keep it a one-on-one class so that we can concentrate just on what he needs ... naturally I can’t promise to turn anyone into a first-class ControlLogix programmer in just three days - but I have no doubt that I can make his transition from PLC/SLC to CLX a lot quicker and easier than he could figure it out by himself ... he’s savvy enough to do it all by himself, but time is the main issue ... he’s got projects already in the fire and needs to get up to speed quick ... if you’d be interested in something like that, give me a call ... to Steve Bailey: I hadn’t forgotten - just been tied up ... I’m sending you a PM ... thank you for all of your contributions ... incidentally, one thing that I really LOVE about the free Gmail system - the built-in spam filter works GREAT! ...

Greetings geniusintraining ... we have a motion from Steve ... and a second from you ... and I appreciate the input from you both ... but ... contacting the AB distributors is something that I can NOT do ... actually I was working for the local AB distributor up until a few years ago ... I’m still friends with the local salesmen, and occasionally they call me up in an emergency when they need to borrow an I/O module or something that they don’t have in stock ... (I’ve got quite a selection in my lab equipment) ... but asking these guys to sell my classes is something that I just couldn’t do ... I’m 100% certain (absolutely 100%) that their higher-ups would consider that to be a grave “conflict of interest” ... unless things have changed in the last year or two (very doubtful), Allen-Bradley considers training to be a "profit stream" enterprise - just the same as selling PLCs and pushbuttons ... so having personally worked for an Allen-Bradley distributor, I’m well aware of where the line is drawn ... I just couldn’t ask my friends (or any other AB salesmen) to cross that line ... going just a little bit further ... quite often I’m asked about my personal opinion of Allen-Bradley’s training ... I always say that if their training meets the customer’s needs, then it’s fine ... on the other hand, if for some reason the customer feels his needs aren’t being met, then I offer an alternative ... my training methods are different - and they’re specifically tailored to the needs of maintenance technicians and the “learn-by-doing” approach that they prefer ... and actually those same ideas are pretty much summed up in this post from the geniusintraining himself ... you’ll find it (in an abbreviated form) included at the end of the “Public Testimonials” page of my website ... I don’t certainly don’t mind having my potential customers read the nice things that you had to say about AB ... like I said earlier, their training works fine for many people ... but then for other people it doesn’t quite ring the bell ... the bosses of those “other people” are the customers that I’m most interested in reaching ... now on to other things ... this one perhaps? ... along those lines, how about sending down one of your MicroLogix systems that I could demo to my students? ... quite a few of them ask me how to go about getting something to work with at home after the class is over ... I’d be glad to see how they like your stuff and send them directly to you if they’re interested ... Edited by Ron Beaufort