Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

BooTP Helper Device

84 posts in this topic

The device is 90% developed, but one thing that hasn't been determined is what to call the device. Obviously it assigns IP Addresses per Bootp request, actually with some firmware tweaks it may also be able to server DHCP request. But there seems to be quite a bit of interest in its ability to read IP Addresses. Any ideas on what to call it?

BootPlus

I guess I'm sitting here thinking what would someone be looking for if this device fit their needs? It's for PLCs, at least in general, but would they be looking for a Bootp device or would the be looking for something that could assign IP addresses?

How about 123IP : Scan, Set & Go. The product marketing will be pointed at the automation industry anyway, so the fact that the product only applies to BooTP enabled devices can be made clear on the product website introduction. I think the power lies more in the fact that it can set an IP rather than identify it, if it can only do the last it would be useless.

Does whoever comes up with the winning name get a free one? LOL, worth asking. How about: BP-wizard IPSR, sets and reads IP's BPPLC BootPLC

Gee Ken wish I was such a wiz at names all I got is "IP/BootP Calculator"

Some more: BootiP+ IPHelper I3P=IPPP= IPPLCPLUS

Let me check. Perhaps this would be a good idea

IProbe IPProbe PLCProbe BiPT, Boot IP Tool BPIPLC, BootP & IP PLC tool

I like IP Probe. I could see it getting called that anyway in a maintenance shop.

Why all names going around probing function? I guess the main purpose is to be a portable BOOTP Server. Am I missing something?

That was the developer's primary purpose of the device and what I believe will do maintenance personnel the most good. But what does everyone else think? What is more appealing? The ability to read IP Addresses from a controller or write IP Addresses to a controller? Or do they go hand and hand...pretty much which came first...the chicken or the egg?

I think being able to determine the IP address of a device may be more useful to the traveling Programmer, the BootP function is just icing on the cake.

As it saves IP related hassles, I would call it something like "Beyond IPs" or the more tongue-in-cheek "Forget IPs".

How about "IP Freely" or "IP Everywhere" Edited by gravitar

Must be because I never use BootP devices but that sounds unogical to me. IMHO this device is only useful if you can do your job without having to use your laptop or notebook (right) afterwards. After all, I understand the AB BootP software does just the same so no use in using the BootP helper first and then power up your notebook to continue the job ? How would it be of use if you can only read an IP, so you can conclude a device has a wrong IP, and then still fire up your laptop to assign the right IP ? Perhaps it is wise to take the lurker road on this one

Keep the feedback coming. It is very good BTW, here is the updated device

Any PC-based BOOTP Server will do the same, but if you used any BOOTP server on PC before you probably know that Firewalls, Antivirus, VPN, VirtualDrivers and other software simply block ports 67 and 68 making this software useless. They simply can't see any BOOTP requests. This device bypasses port blocking making BOOTP operation easy. Also I see it handy for a maintenance guys without PC at all: if they need to replace a module, they can grab blank one from the shelf, select IP from the predefined list on this "helper' and restore operation without connecting a PC.

The port blocking of firewalls seens to cause people a lot of trouble. I have a demo unit I could send you to try out if you like.

I skimmed through and read most of the posts in this thread and I don't think I saw an answer to a very important question. Does this device BEFORE it starts handing out IP's on the network it's attached to, determine if the address it's going to hand out is already used? Coming from a System Administration standpoint, I'm not sure I'd want a rogue BootP server running on my network without my knowledge. I'm new to PLC's but I'm deep into Network Administration and Managed network design, and having a second device on the network handing out addresses could lead to issues. My DHCP server which could also function as a BootP server if needed keeps a list of addresses that are currently in use, or have an active lease. If you were to plug this device in, it might not know that a device has a lease, but is currently turned off and hand out that address to your PLC. Someone comes along, boots up that machine, and it retrieves it lease and now all the sudden you have an IP conflict, and neither device will function on the network. I do understand the need for this device, as I'm sure many times you guys go into a place and no one knows what IP's are used and what's available. But I would use it with some caution, at least check with someone first before you plug it in. Otherwise, it's a nifty little device.

I don't believe this device automatically assigns IP addresses, you have to type in the address. So it's entirely up to the user to ensure that IP address conflicts are avoided.

streaker69: It will not and can't not replace IT DHCP server that leases addresses. It has different purpose: In industrial control world devices usually use static IPs and no DHCP/BOOTP server running on these segments. But devices out of box coming with BOOTP enabled and need server to assign IP address. Once IP assigned, it set as Static and server not needed anymore. So this handheld server used to do one time IP assignment that typically require PC with server running. Another important point you are missing: handheld is not for networks, it connects to the target device directly. Edited by Contr_Conn

Then that's what I was missing in reading through all the threads. I was just concerned about it handing out addresses that it shouldn't. Like I said, it's a really neat device, I was just concerned about it doing that. I am new to the Industrial Control world though, we're currently in the process of changing our plant over from ModBus+ to Ethernet. Currently the two systems are running in Parallel through out most of the plant, except for one location that we could not so for now it's on ModBus+ until the final cut over to Ethernet. I did the design work for the Ethernet Network, and I'm learning to design the HMI, I have a class scheduled in October for training in Iconics. Edited by streaker69

Thanks for the compliment, it is not something that will permanently be hooked into a network. If there is a device failure then it is a quick way of getting the device back up and running. If you were to have to hook into a piece of equipment and didn't know the IP Address then this will read the IP Address for you.