Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
notricks

CPM2A Communication with smartcard interface RS232

4 posts in this topic

Hi, i'm working on a college project, and i'm trying to use a smartcard interface and a smartcard connected to the RS232 port of the PLC for control access, and storing some data information. Does someone ever trying something like this? What kind of interface would you recommend? Thanks!

I've never connected to a SmartCard reader before but I have communicated to GSM mobile phones, weigh scales, laser sensors, SMS with GSM, Barcode Readers...etc The first thing to get right (which by the way causes 90% of problems with comm's) is the cabling between the two devices get this right and your well on the way to success. Generally I have found that you do not require what is known as full handshaking. (Where all of the signals get conected to their corresponding logical partners between the devices). PLC                       DEVICE (1) SHLD (2) TXD ----------------- RXD (?) (3) RXD ----------------- TXD (?) (4) RTS ---|           |---  RTS (?)            |           | (5) CTS ---|           |--- CTS (?) (6) (7)                        |--- DTR (?)                            | (8)                        |--- DSR (?) (9) SG   ----------------- SG (?) The second step is to have a look at the protocol - ie what language is the smart card reader going to talk with.....by studing this you will see what to expect to read. Third...Connect to the PLC with your programming software. Use the programming software to set the baud rate, data bits, parity, stops bits, of the PLC port (lets assume the RS232 port.) and match it to what the spec on the smart card reader comm's with. (Make sure that when u do this that the toggle switch next to the inbuilt RS232 port is set to ON - This forces the PLC to use standard Omron HostLink (SysmacWay) 9600, 7, Even 2 comms. otherwise you will loose comms when you change the settings. ALSO in the settings under custom make the method of comms RS232. When connecting to the Smartcard reader turn the Toggle switch off to match the RS232 port settings. Finally look at this link from the Omron download section. Jay's Download Link for Handling RS232 Comms's This should get you started. Edited by Sleepy Wombat

Thanks a lot Sleepy Wombat. i'll make some tests and i'll write here the results. Once again, thanks. P.S - Sorry about my english, but i'm a foreign guy! ehehe

it's me, i was not logged in, sorry.