Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr_electrician

LG PLC with Fanuc NC

5 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I am having a brain fart trying to manipulate a machine. We have a KIA lathe that uses a Fanuc NC, and also has an LG PLC that was used for the work stalker.(parts loader) We have taken the stocker off and replaced it with infeed and exit conveyors, The way that it worked was certain M codes were initiated in the lathe based on the status of output signals from the LG PLC. I basically have 4 M Codes whice are 140 (Unload ok), 141 (Unload End), 142 (Load OK), 143 (Load End). I am having my problem at the condition of start up. When the chuck in the lathe is unclamped, it will start a timer I use to verify that a part has been released.(Basically my unclamp signal starts the timer) I need to somhow trick the machine at start up to not look at this condition using the LG PLC. The trick is that I only have a few options since we have no way of programming the FANUC, and that the machine builder has only used certain inputs to the PLC from the FANUC. Sound confusing, it's frustrating. Hopefully one of you guys will want the challenge. I can give you more detail if needed. Thanks guys

As someone that's taking CNC classes (Haas CNC, not Fanuc) it does sound like an interesting problem. Why can't you do anything with the CNC program in the Fanuc? That might be the best place to find the problem and correct it. Could you put an output contact of the PLC in parallel with the switch, and only close it during the start-up routine?

If you make no changes to the PMC (CNC's PLC) you have a few options. The M codes will turn on specific address in the CNC. Either use the LG and it's I/O which should work, or try to find different M codes that are configured to available I/O. The OEM will be able to provide this information, by default it may have a couple set up for coolant, sometimes these are available. If these are NA, you will need to purchase the ability to edit the PMC. HTH

Yes I totally agree, and why someone may ask? Well because that is what I have done. I used the LG as my plc, and the available inputs from the NC. After a crash course in LG PLC programming, and firing the rits bits off at the right time, I was able to get it to work. Actually impressed with the LG being the softwar is a free download of the net! (GWIN)

You are welcome.