Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcor

visual basic

16 posts in this topic

thinking about trying to purchase visual basic. some of the applications that we have paid a outside person to do for us was written with the new vb version 6. If I get the new vb.net, would it be backward compatable. Also, does anyone know of a good website or book that would be helpful with trying to learn it. Thanks

it depends... there is wizard that will do project conversion but depending on how original program was writen, there maybe need for no, partial or complete rewrite... that was by far the biggest complaint and lot's of programmers ware/are furious about this. i suggest calling local educational institutions and checking if they have classes. coleges here offer 3-month courses, twice a week (evenings) and for only $200-300 this is worth it there are e-classes as well so you don't need to comute, just use internet connection from home/work. they normally cover everything from basics (controls and objects) up to database access. then there are so many forums and google is your friend...

When I taught myself VB. i have ended up purchasing around 4 / 5 different ref books... From SAMS Teach your self VB to other refs; and finally Data Base programming with VB.... I like printed books... I don;t take my lap top to the toilet... Not to mention the search on the WEB for examples on controls such as MSFlexgrid and the like.... animating buttons etc etc.... As said by Panic... Google is your friend...

If I recall there is a free version of Visual Studio whihc includes vb.net that MS is giving away. Might want to check it out.

I converted one large project and it took a couple of hours to fix everything for .net, exept for the database functions. That took a couple of days. There are some things in .net that are just way different, and some that are similar to VB6. For a person making the transition from VB6 to VB.net I liked "The Book of VB.net" by Matthew McDonald. It gets you up and running with .net from a VB6 programmers point of view. Once you'e past that point pick a book or better yet books based on your needs. One book doesn't seem to cover it all, there are too many details to cover. Find the free version of vb.net and start there as has been suggested already.

with the free version, can you actually create a application, link it to a plc file such as rslogix or directly to a plc and run the application. Just downloading the free version is not something that our IT Group approves without going through a buch of sh^t , but believe it or not it is actually easier to purchase a software package with a official license. seems stupid, but just the way it is, that was why i was wondering if a person who has never used visual basic would be better off trying to purchase vb.net, or vb6, I have heard from folks that I have talked to that vb6 is easier for a beginner than vb.net, but not sure if you can even still purchase vb6

If you don't know either than you may as well learn the newest one.

I just downloaded the free version.. looks pretty good. Lots of good tutorials to be found on the web, too. My first impression of it is that it's a lot like making panelbuilder screens! since it is free, I wonder why they expect you to register it? Is this just an excuse for MS to extract personal info from your PC?

thanks to everyone for your replys. I have found that this site is always very useful. I know it has helped me to finish some projects when I was stuck or had a issue that I just could not understand. I got the approval from our IT group to download the vb.net free version. Have not done it yet, going to download it tomorrow afternoon. Getting ready to do some work in some of our branch plants, so will have some time at night on the weekend to work with it some and see if I can understand it. I do have a quick question. I have a micrologix 1100 and 1200 that I carry in my car. i can connect to the 1100 through the ethernet connection and use the built in webserver to view data. Would anyone have a very simple example, such as writing a simple program to move numbers into a register based on which input is turned on, and have it displayed on vb.net application in a bar graph or a dashboard speedometer, that will go up or down depending on the value in the plc register. Also, after I download the free vb.net, will i be able to create a application and actually run it as a executional file. I hate to sound like I am wanting someone to do it for me, but if someone could possibly share a application like this, it would go a long away in possibly helping myself as well as others that may have the same questions. From the post I have read on this site, and plcs.net, it appears there are other folks that are confused as myself, but there are also quite a number of folks that I myself consider experts, from the post that they put on these site, that I am sure could help answer. thanks alot.

Here are a few good sites that I use... http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/index.php http://www.codeproject.com/ and MS's site http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx

For reference, VB.NET is not backwards compatible with VB6. I actually just made the jump to .NET and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I'm using the Express version of Visual Studio 2008, works great. So far I've made a custom OPC client and an app that saves images from DVT cameras. Sorry for being a necro on this thread, just realized last post was over a year ago.

Hehe, you have somewhat resurrected this thread from the dead! However, I agree with your sentiments on the Express editions. I have used both VB.NET and C# Express. Very impressive considering they are a free download. I have used VB to build a datalogger app that talks to an Omron CJ1M via serial link. Currently trying to learn C# and port it over, and trying to implement some TCP sockets functions. Andy. Edited by Andy_P

Something else I have learned is that if you think of VB6 and VB.NET as completely unrelated languages, you will have an easier time in .NET. I wrote a .NET program like I would write a VB6 program and ended up with about 1500 lines total. Then I learned some cool things you can do in .NET (like have one function handle multiple events) and cut it down to 600. Very nice!

I like your sig!

Thanks! Unfortunately the link it points to isn't that great. Andy.

I was too busy laughing at the code to notice that it pointed to your blog. Nice! Added a link on my blogroll.