Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

Ozz Food & Wines

45 posts in this topic

I think Bucco is braised veal shanks and Shiraz is wine.

Thanks Ken, I guessed it was food but couldn't make much of it...

you're right about that

Hey you guys in Europe, Osso Bucco is braised veal, or beef, shanks and comes from Italy. I thought you would all be into it - great feed particularly with Risotto A La Milanese. Comes from Milan and is a Risotto cooked with dry white wine, saffron and finished with butter and good parmesan cheese stirred in - Grande Padana at least. Shiraz is a red grape and, hence, wine. I do not know what you call it over there but it is generally big and spicy (peppery). About 60% of our red grapes in Ozz are Shiraz. We also have a lot of Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, Temperanillo, Durif (my favourite - it is huge) etc etc. You should try some of our reds, and whites for that matter. They are very different to the watery French and California stuff quite frankly. The reds have body and guts rather than water. We are spoilt rotten with good wines. There is a glut here at the moment and really good wines are really cheap. I notice from a couple of the food shows on cable TV that the Poms have found a lot of our good wines. The Kiwis make some really good whites too particularly Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough district.

From Wikipedia: Shiraz or Syrah is a variety of grape used in wine. The names are interchangeable. It is called Syrah in France and most of the United States. In South Africa, Australia, and Canada it is known as Shiraz. In Australia it used to be called Hermitage up to the late 1980s. It should not be confused with Petite Sirah, a synonym for Durif, which is a different type of grape. Its name stems from Shiraz—the city of flowers, wine and poetry in Iran—in the heart of an ancient winemaking region. The grape also has many other synonyms that are used in various parts of the world including Antourenein Noir, Balsamina, Candive, Entournerein, Hignin Noir, Marsanne Noir, Schiras, Sirac, Syra, Syrac, Serine, and Sereine.[1]

Wow Ken, I am impressed. Some of the flash wineries here call it Syrah by the way. Guess it does not matter what it is called - it is usually really good stuff. By the way, Wikepedia has missed out - some of the very best Shiraz is produced in the Hunter Valley - north of Sydney New South Wales. I do love the reds from the Clare Valley though, and Coonawarra. Penfolds Grange is over rated. There are better Shiraz wines here than that and they are a lot cheaper. I have some Octavious that is at least as good, 1989, and way cheaper. Jacob's Creek is generally considered cooking wine in Ozz by the way. Consistent, not a lot of body or pepper. I do not even use it for cooking. Hermitage and most of the French names have vanished here such as Burgundy etc - the French have threatened to sue anyone using their precious names. Even Champagne is now known as Chardonnay (and others) Methode Champenoire - probably spelt it wrong. Does not matter really - the only way it tastes any good to me is if I mix it 50/50 with stout! By the way, I did not know the other name for Durif. I can, however, highly recommend it. My Doc tells me that a couple of glasses of red wine a night is good for the heart - the missus reckons you have to have a heart first. Shame to risk the bottle going off once it is opened though.

I guess this thread has been completely high jacked. We start off on Amperage, move to lack of enthusiasm in the current generation, and end up with a Global wine discussion.

Hi guys, Wine!!! Maybe my most beverage next to water and coke! I, for one, am not particularly fond of a Shiraz.... I prefer a good old Cabernet Savignon Besides that, I would suggest you guys try a Merlot, or Rubicon for those who do not like the dry reds. In the south western parts of my country we have the winelands, better knows as the western cape. These guys really make some good reds. Towards the northern parts of South Africa we have some really good sweet white wines. Have you guys tried the french champagne from Moet & Chandon??? Not my favorite. Anyway, what do you guys think of the ICC Cricket world cup so far. Looks like the Ausies are doing very well? Maybe end results would be something like 1. Australia 2. New Zealand 3. South Africa Only time will tell....

Don't discount Sri Lanka!

Maybe they go hand in hand?

Here's a few, compliments of PdL

BobB, in which position do YOU think Sri Lanka will finish?

It looks like Ozz will play SA in the semis and Sri Lanka will play NZ. That suggests that Sri Lanka will finish either first or third unless there is a playoff between third and fourth. There has been a fairly strong view in Ozz recently that probably the final will be played between Sri Lanka and Ozz. The wickets in the West Indies tend to suit the spinners to a degree although the wicket for the final will probably suit the faster bowlers for the team fielding first. If there is a playoff for third and fourth a lot will depend on the wicket also. By the way, I do not think anything is certain with the four teams in the finals. They are all capable of beating each other (hate to admit it though). Who would have thought the Poms would crash out so badly after beating Ozz recently in the one day series. The main thing was we won the ashes. I like the traditional game and not real fussed about 1 day. 20/20 is a bash artists joke. I hate it. Edited by BobB

I was in the wonderful world of Oz last year. Much is just like here except the sports. Sydney reminded me of Vancouver BC. Tumbarumba wasn't too different from small sawmill towns on the east side of the Cascade mountains here. Tumbarumba is timber and wine country.

Global Wine discussion {LOL}, yet I see no mention of the Finger Lakes Wines, second only in the USA to Napa Valley and even that can be debated if you ask the Lakes Natives.

Lot's of nice miniature wineries in in Virginia http://www.virginiawines.org/ Of course over here in my area we're famous for something with a little more kick

I'm just a pizza and pop kind of guy.. not cultured enough to converse intelligently about fine wine and cuisine :) but I do have a question. Why is Australia referred to as "Oz" or "Ozz"? Does it have something to do with the movie (Wizard of Oz)? Or is it a tribute to Ozzy Osborne?

Ozzy! Ozzy! Ozzy!

Prefer the higher octane stuff myself...Have "relatives" that still pratice that art.

Ozzstralia! Did a job down near Tumbarumba recently - ponds and an artificial river stocked with fish where one can go to learn how to catch trout. Love the Snowy Mountains in summer in particular but they are suffering from the drought badly - as is the rest of Ozzstraria. Please excuse our slang here - many from all parts of the world find Ozzy slang and sense of humour extremely hard to understand - no sign being held up "laugh here"!

It's just phonetic spelling of Aus or Aussie Don'y know if Ozzy has ever been to #@$*! Australia

Back to the wine........... Just finished a bottle of Zinfandel off.......... Shall i open the Shiraz or go to bed ?

What a coincidence. I might still have a relative or two practicing myself

As long as the label indicates a reasonable to high level of alcohol % it is good - the higher the better.

I believe the bottles that TW and Clay are refering to 'don't have no labels'. You'll probably find it in Mason jars.