Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECSI

Linked Symbols

9 posts in this topic

Hi I have an Omron project involving CX-Supervisor and a CS1 PLC. There are a lot of physical I/O and plenty of DM addresses to set up symbols for. I have no problem setting up my Excel spreadsheet symbols and then bringing them into CX-Programmer. What I would like to do though is also bring them into CX-Supervisor, but the only way I can see to do this is to go into each symbol individually in CX-Programmer and check the box to link the symbol to the CX-Server file, and then use CX-Supervisor to import from the Server file. There must be an easier way!! This is very time consuming when there are few hundred symbols to link. Is there a way to link all symbols at once? Or maybe have a column in the Excel spreadsheet where I can enter a 1 or 0 to link the symbol? I am using CX-Programmer v3.0. Thanks Paul

Good to see u using Excel.... The easiest way to do this is First...In Excel Format the entire sheet to be TEXT. That way when you copy from CX-P to Excel the address 000.00 won't be truncated to 0 being a channel.... Second...Copy a sample Global symbol to the sheet...This will give you the correct format ie Symbol, Type Address, Comment , CX_Link.. (I just add the headings to the sheet for simplicity and printing doc's) You will notice that the last CX-Link col has 0's in it. When you create the new symbols in Excel simply place a 1 in this col and vola...its linked to the CX file. Mission half accomplished...... BTW In CX-Programmer you will have to create a link to a CX-Server file by right clicking on the New Project icon. Then Click the New file icon. type in a name, note the location of the file. The file by default will have a *.cdm extension. Caution though do not call the file the same name as the file in CX-Supervisor otherwise there might be a clash with the cdm files created... No onto importing the symbols into CX-Supervisor Open up the point editor (CX-Sup), click the DB icon (right of the Device Setup Icon) then the "Import PLC points from another CX-Server Project "dialog pops up. Click Open Project Button then select the above appropriate *.cdm file that you created previously in CX-Prog. The default selections should suffice for now. As you know in CX-Sup you can have Input, Output, Input/Output type points, so select a tab (say Inputs) then click the Add button, The "Select Points" Dialog pops up. Select the point(s) that you want to include, and click the Add button. They will be transfer to the lower window frame (ie these are the points that will be imported) Once you are happy that you got all's the points u want Click Ok Button (this closes this dialog) and returns u to the "Import PLC points from another CX-Server Project " dialog. CLick on the "Import Actions" Tab, click OK and all's well that ends well............ Edited by Sleepy Wombat

Screen Shot of CX-Programmer CX-Server File creation by right clicking on NewProjec in workspace.

Cx-Supervisor Screen shot 1

I'm going home now..... That should do u though....have fun......

Thanks Sleepy! That was just too easy. Saves me a lot of time. It was quite annoying having to link each symbol individually. Another thing I noticed. When I import into CX-Super it works fine, but when I add more points with CX-Prog and then try to import to CX-Super again, the new points don't always show up in the list for importing. To get around this I end up unlinking the CX Server file and creating a new file. I probably shouldnt have to do this...is there a reason the new points don't show up? Thanks again Paul

When you add the new points in CX-Programmer did you save the project also ? This will update the points in the cdm file.

I find for some reason that it doesn't always update the CX-Server file when I save the CX-Prog file. The only way I can ensure that the CX-Server file gets updated is to save the CX-P program and then close CX-Programmer. Kinda strange, but no big deal.