Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeremiah

Communication with 984 using Modsoft error code 199

4 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, I am attempting to communicate with a Modicon 984-685E using modsoft on a laptop running xp. I downloaded a program called direct io which is suppossed to allow you to use modsoft with xp. With out direct io, the comm light on the processor would come on for a second then turn off and modsoft would just freeze up. With direct io, modsoft attempts to make communication with the processor but I get an error code 199- check plc address. I am attempting to communicate through modbus port 2 becase we have an hmi hooked up to modbus port 1. How do you configure modbus port 2? How do I figure out what the plc address is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time Jeremiah Sells

I think on those units the PLC address was set in rotary switches somewhere. I can't remember much about the 984. Did you check for manuals on the web?

It says in the manual that modbus port 1 is configure by dip switches inside the processor, that I can't see. Modbus port 2 says it is software configurable only, just not how to configure it. All I need to do is upload the programs and start converting the logic to something newer. When you transfer from plc to file, this is the upload feature? The program will remain on the processor as well? I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot Jeremiah Sells

Why can't you just unplug the HMI and use port 1 if all you're going to do is a quick upload? If you were using ProWORX, there is a search feature that will show you all addressable PLCs in the communication sttings. But since you're in Modsoft, if you don't know how that port was set in the program that's in the PLC, you're stuck trying all available options.