Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
llrelease

Generating bar code labels using Control Logix PLC and Zebra printer

8 posts in this topic

I would like to generate bar code labels in a system that contains a control logix controller and a Zebra printer. They are connected via an ethernet card in the PLC rack and a router. I have experience generating labels for this printer using a PC and the ZPL programming language, but I am not sure how to do it using a PLC. Is it even possible, and what commands would I use to do it? If it is not possible via ethernet, RS-232 is an option. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

Unless Zebra has gone to speaking the AB proprietary ethernet protocols since I worked with them last you'll need to connect your Zebra thru a serial connection. I've used controlnet to a 1734-rs232 module with success and can assume that the ethernet ip io will conenct the 1734-rs232 jsut as well. Seem to recall it being discussed in another thread here not long ago. If you know your command string the printer needs you jsut convert it to hex and let the PLC send it. The Manual for the 1734-RS232 or 1734-RS485 will explain it much better than I. And the COntrolLogix takes a lot of the grunt work out of it from the old BAS card days.

I looked at doing this a few years ago. Unfortunately I don't have my notes on it. Seems like I determined that it was feasible with the 1756-EWEBs sockets feature. At the time I was playing with the EWEB and different types of Ethernet printers and Ethernet print adapters. They all seemed to work very well. RS-232 is also an option but I would hate to tie up the processors serial port with that.

Here is the post I referred to this poster was doing COntrolLogix to a serial device and looking at COntrolnet and eventually Ethernet IO as I recall. TW is also onto a good idea if EWEB can use sockets and connect with the printer. EWEB wasn't an option last time I had to design a machine.

I forgot about the 1734 option. I need to find an option to use it on. Virtually unlimited serial ports for ASCII If you do the serial option then that is the way to go.

Comtrol has an Ethernet to Serial converter that you should look into. http://www.comtrol.com/products/specs/spec...product=99011-6 The setup would be control logix -> DeviceMaster UP -> Printer I have used these to read serial barcode scanners into PLCs with great success.

Thanks for all of the responses and information provided. It looks like I have just 2 options... RS-232 or the 1756-EWEB module. It would be nice if I could print from the 1756 controller directly to the Zebra printer using the existing ethernet network, but it appears that some additional hardware is going to be required.

What's it got? ENBT, ENET, or EN2T?