Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lotuseater

Detect COMM loss on PanelView Plus 600 over Ethernet?

8 posts in this topic

I am wondering what is the best way for a PLC (1769-L32E) to detect comm loss since the communications are initiated by the PanelView Plus 600? I have read that the Panelview Plus does not support the ETHERNET PANELVIEW module in logix5000. Otherwise, that would be a good fix. For instance - If a PanelView has a start/stop control, it would not have the ability to stop if there was a communication loss. I would want the PLC to know if the PanelView had lost communication with the PLC to properly adjust the process. Thank You. Edited by lotuseater

I can think of two ways to do this; explicit messaging to detect the presence of the PV+, or use the Global Objects seconds value to act as a watchdog. If the seconds value doesn't change, then the PV+ has been disconnected or the RSView ME application has stopped executing.

Ken has the best 2 methods to do the job. The watchdog timer method is the simplest way to do this.

Thank You for your replies. I have been able to attach the 'seconds' value in the Global Connections setup to a tag in the PLC. I currently have a single Machine Edition project with several different Main Screens. A different initial graphic is chosen in the Startup options for each runtime file. Is there a way to attach the "seconds" value to several different PLC tags so that it does not have to be changed to a different tag for each runtime file? Otherwise, I would need to change it for each different Startup configuration.

I am not fluent with RSView and the PVPLus but I would think that the logic would be to create a seconds tag pointed at each plc. For example PLC1_Secs, PLC2_Secs and PLC3_Secs and then in the while running event have the global seconds value mapped to this plc tag. You could chose which tag was the target based on the initial graphic. May not have the terminology right, but I believ the concept is sound.

The concept is right; it is similar to what I had thought. But, my problem is I do not know where to create the "while running" event? Thank You Again.

I'm not sure why you want to be loading so many different runtimes but asking operators to load different PV setups is usually a bad idea. One of the global variables controls which screens are selected. You can use this to directly drive screen changes from the PLC, if that helps. For instance, the cranes in my plant switch between an informational screen (time, system status, current recipe) and a scale screen (add X amount of ingredient Y) depending on whether the cranes are loading a batch or not. The crane operator does not have to push a button at all because the appropriate information is always right in front of them. I also use the same trick in a system that has a "maintenance mode". In maintenance mode, all the normal controls vanish. The whole screen is just an array of momentary contacts to jog the various pieces of equipment. All normal operator functions are suspended...perfect for a mechanic/electrician test screen and 100% useless if an operator tries to use it to bypass an interlock (all sequencing is also reset at the same time). Since the screen changes are controlled by the PLC itself, there is no way for an operator to get to the maintenance screen without the key for the control box.

I am creating different runtime files for different "stations" out of the same machine edition project. Each panelview will only have one file on it for the operator to select from.