Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

OMG: Some people have no concept of safety...

50 posts in this topic

I've never seen an industrial robot do something (other than stop or just plain mechanically fail) that it wasn't TOLD to do. Now with that said, I've seen "the best of the best" programmers pick up fixtures/transguns/etc and sling them across workcells when not using their best judgement. I don't think I'd entrust my health and safety to any of them!

The WORST I've seen is old robots that get near singulairty....man they go nuts.....none of the six axis robots like that. Later robots just fault out.... Fanuc has new software purchased as an option. Singulairty avoidance.....what it does it jog around the point, if your not expecting it, it kind of freaks me out.

check this out. Some guys hooked up a robot to a Wii-mote, and use it to swing a tennis racket and sword.

Now **THAT** is cool! I'd like to get some of the particulars on the interface between the Wee and the Kuka controller!

Wow...now that is REALLY kewl!!!! I've been seeing alot of things that can interface to a wi remote. What is up with that? I've seen remote control cars controlled etc...what kind of an output does this controller output? Anyone have an specs on it?

Don't know about the interface, but the robot looks to be Nachi-Fujikosi or ABB then again I may just be blinded by the nice orange paint.

You know the one thing that hasn't been brought out in this where to people get spare robots for this? I'm proud of the PLCs I have gathered up for testing and playing with.

I've read a couple of articles on the wand, it uses infra red and blue tooth to interface with the console. It appears to be distant dependent, if your distance from the console changes, the accuracy changes, a lot. You calibrate the wand for each user, then the wand sends blue-tooth signals about where it's located and how fast it's moving, but it loses position accuracy over time, there is an infrared bar that goes in front of your TV that is used to minimize the accuracy loss. Here's one article: http://wii.ign.com/articles/718/718946p1.html I haven't seen anything on the exact signal characteristics. I imagine they are holding that piece close to the vest, to prevent other gaming console makers from copying the technology.

I'm pretty sure I saw KUKA on the manipulator.. (The Wii one, that is.. The jackass episode in the original post featured a Fanuc)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...earch%26fvi%3D1

At least SOMEONE was thinking...wearing a helmet.... Photo found here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

If this went on for long, it would become a case of Natural Selection at work!!! I glad that someone put an end to it. I just hopw that whoever buys it on E-Bay does not ust it for the same purpose. Although, it looks like it is being sold "as-is", meaning with the chair attached. The pictures do not encourage industrial use very well though!!!

I think it's safe. He must have updated his auction. It says: "No TOOLING or END EFFECTORS are included in this sale, as I have NONE for this robot. The SEAT, and 5-point CROW racing harness are also NOT available in this auction."

His leg is dragging on the ground...mmm time for some new jeans....Thank god they didn;t combine the wii controller with the robot ride... opp;s better not give them more ideas...they seemed to have been hell bent on trying to win the Darwin awards... oh well

It's a sportbike club, you drag knee's in corners hence why they had it set up so you could "put your knee down".

For some reason, us automation guys didn't "get it"...thanks for clearing that up. A bike simulator...nice piece of work for sure.

Don't you wear knee pads if you are actaully gonna drag you knee on some gravel / cement ?

Yeah, like my full leather have knee puck Velcro built into them. The pucks actually sit on the outside a little below the knee. You don't really put weight on them but rather more of a feeler as to how low you are. I didn't try riding the robot like that but I can drag knee on my bike and trust me it's quite a rush and weird.

Hmmmmmm. I guess I'll stick to my lowrider. The old shovel head ain't that fast, but its plenty reliable, and compaired to the bikes that seem to be the center of attention, a lot slower too. But while ya'all will get there a lot quicker then this old biker, I sure hope I look a lot better while I'm on my way. lol As far as the Bike VS the Robot, I also think I will stay with the two wheels. But I gotta give credit to the programmer who did manage to make a robotic vomit comet.

Helmets on bikes? We don't need no stinken helmets Guess violations of the age limit are scary to you also Chakorules?

Accident: Honda Bike Hits a Volkswagen at 250 km/h A picture is worth a thousand words. The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the colli sion took place. All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. The Swedish Police and Road Safety Department placed this graphic demonstration at the StockholmMotorcycle Fair. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license. At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken.

C'mon now, is there really any difference between riding this robo ride or a ride at an amusement park. I would go on it or sure!!

Yes there is significant differences between the robot ride and amusement parks. Parks are designed by a team of skilled engineers and pay specific attention to failure analysis and worst case scenarios. Nothing can predict how an idiot rider will defeat safeties and stand up in a remain seated coaster, but definite thought is used. If you read this post several "improvements" have been suggested which would be in an amusement ride.

some safety in day-to-day life SafetyAwards2005.ppt