Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
semilogical

Anyone here purchase the OEM Toolkit?

11 posts in this topic

We have had it for a short time and I don't think we using it to the max. We bought 5 licenses for the company. I did find that you cannot transfer a single license, if you select one you get all 71 of them! I'm curious about the extranet service. I've not signed up for it yet, I'm the software administrator, an inherited job, since we lost one of our engineers. Some of the software I've never even seen before! I guess if we ever get into a giant plant wide project we will have everything we need Rockwell wise. Any suggestions as to effective use the service?

When you run the EVMove untility, it defaults to transferring one of every license available. What you want to do is select the "Edit All" button and change the quantity to 0. Then, select the license you want to transfer and select the "Edit Selected" button and change the quantity to 1. Now you can finally select the "Move" button and transfer your license. Good luck, Edited by mellis

I think with the OEM toolkit you don't have that option. It is all or none but I could be wrong. I have been looking into it myself

I just started a couple days ago with a company that has the toolkit. Wow, that's a lot of software! I learned about something else new, too.. EVRSI activations that expire! When I first came for an interview, they pulled out a notebook to give me a programming "test", but as luck would have it the contract expiration anniversary was the day before so they couldn't get it to launch RSLogix!

Just set your computer date back and the activations work again, had to use it before on a plant HMI when the temperory activation timed out and Rockwell was slow on sending out the permanent activation

I am sure that you can transfer individual license from the 70 odd activations on the master disk, as I have done so myself. The software list is comprehensive. You have more than you need. There are some products that have the install software but not the activations, namely Test Stand, RS Tune etc. Would love activations for these. The expiration can be handled by pushing the system date back. But for HMI packages this would interfere with the trend / report data. So you have to use the pushing back of the date carefully. Otherwise if you are a regular customer you can update the activations with the new expiration date activations, as we do. One problem I am facing is the factory talk internet activation method rockwell has started. Problem being that at a lot of sites the customer is not trained enough or does not have internet access to activate the software himself. Is the option of master disk activation still available on rockwell products? I have heard talk of changing the activation methods completely by 2008. Anyone know anything on this?

The toolkit still uses the master disk. If you need to activate software on a different computer than you are on the internet with there is a way to do that. I had to setup customers computers for RSView32. You need the computer ID number when you are online with AB, they send you a file (while online) with the computer number embedded in the file. You then put the file on the computer that will be used. The license issue has been solved. First you go to edit all and select 0. In doing so you have no licenses to be transferred. Next you go to the specific software license you want to transfer and edit it to a 1 install. All you have to be careful with is to be sure that you can retrieve the license from the computer you load it on to keep your license count right. One of our licenses was on a laptop that was being transferred to another department at the company. I had to quickly go through the evmove and get all of our licenses off the computer. What the new activations do for rockwell is to keep people from being able to bootleg the master disks. A few years ago there was a method to copy the disks and recreate them fresh with a new license count. The new method might not eliminate the opportunity to steal the software but it drastically limitis the possibility of doing so.

Why not use a phone based activation like MicroSoft is using for WINXP? Internet activation is quite a pain for sites where net access is not easy. And anyways the plant PCs hosting programming software and hmi usually never have internet access for security reasons. Why not go to a phone based alternate option activation method like Microsoft is using? And as far as the bootlegging goes not sure if the new method will discourage them, people who have the incentive to find a method to copy master disk based activation will surely figure out a way to copy net based activation too. Maybe hardware dongle might help, even tho i know ppl bootleg these too. Any thoughts?

If you are really persistent or demonstrate a serious need, you can still get activation disks. Case in point: Cimplicity HMI in the current version actually checks for the licenses if you use the older C library-based drivers. If they are the "new style" internet activation licenses, it doesn't work. If you just do it all via OPC, then there's no problem. In our last upgrade instead of converting everything to OPC, we managed to get activation disks from Rockwell.

Please call 440-646-5800 in North America for phone support in your area.