Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iic_hyd

TTY Cable For S5 PLC

20 posts in this topic

Hi Greetings to everyone, Can any one help me in getting the circuit Diagram to make RS232- TTY Converter for S5 PLC Regards Subbu

Try this simple diagram. rs232_tty.pdf
1 person likes this

Hi, Thanks for your reply but already i tried this but there is a problem with this, i am trying to get a simple circuit if any one can help. Regards N.Subrahmanyam India

Hi .Subrahmanyam, use this convertor for witch i will send the pictures for PCB. Personaly I use this convertor for two years and is OK. I dont fiind the righ document for drawing but 100% is working. Few days ago i made one of this for a friend. All the best dekor

I think you are not more interested about convertor. But anyway i will post also the electrical drawing.(maybe later......? ) So, new you have the el. diagram, PCB drawing, PCB layout. I think also is time to close this topic. dekor. Build_your_own_RS232_to_TTY_interface_to_communicate_with_STEP_5_PLC.doc

Hello, I'm trying to make a RS232/TTY passive converter as it is in your drawing but with no luck. I would like to ask about IC's, is RS232ACPE is ok and which one of CNY17 (1,2,3,4?) is suitable for this drawing? Kind regards. Edited by Arturas

Dear friend, usually I use the MAX232 and CNY17. It works fine. Just I had build 2 converters last week. Both of them are good. Please verify one more time the way how you have build the PCB, positions of parts... connections on the plug.... Can you send some pictures with your converter? What software you use for S5? Is that soft working OK under XP environment ? Maybe VISTA ??? On XP, I use different software to program S5 devices... Step 5 is not working easy under XP. With respect, dekor

Dear decor, Thank you for your reply. To make a printed circuit i have used this one: For components i have used this one: IC1 MAXIM MAX232ACPE IC2 CNY17-2 T1 BC547C (i could not get BC107, but in the shop seller told me that BC547 is equivalent for BC107). OS WindowsXP Pro SP2 Step5 V7.2 I had borrowed an original siemens cable to check the connection and it worked. When i try to go online i get error: AS interface in PG not ready. Kind regards Arturas

Dear friend, The CABLE from Siemens that you have use was connected to a Siemens PC (programing console) ? The above diagram is for "active". Sorry but this is not a "passive" converter. The active converter is used for a standard PC with serial port to communicate with S5 PLC. Is that your situation? With respect, dekor

For Step5 i am using IBM T30, because mine IBM T60 does not have COM port and that siemens cable that i have borrowed i did connect to IBM T30 as well. Kind regards Arturas

Hi, usually Siemens provide a CABLE , and this cable is used in conjunction with special laptop. This laptop had inside the converter. Have you tested the converter with same laptop that work? It was the same PLC? Was the same conditions? Can you show us some detailed pictures of your converter? PS.: also I use an USB RS232 converter for S5, but not with Step5 programing software. Check on the web for other windows based soft to program S5 PLC. dekor Edited by dekor

Siemens cable worked good, i am trying to make this one working: All i am worry about are IC1, IC2 and T1. I am not sure i am using the right ones. As you mentioned in your drawing IC1=MAX232, IC2=CNY17, T1=BC107, i can get : for IC1 - MAX232CPE or MAX232ACPE (are they suitable for this circuit?) for IC2 there are CNY17-1, CNY17-2, CNY17-3 and CNY17-4 and they all have different parameters. for T1 i could not get BC107, but seller told me that equivalent for it is BC547 (but i am not 100% sure that he is correct). So instead of MAX232 i am using MAX232ACPE, instead of CNY17 i am using CNY17-2, instead of BC107 i am using BC547B. If you find something wrong here please comment. Kind regards.

Hi Dekor. I made up the converter you posted the prited circuit board layout and for short distances it works fine I would also like to make up a powered unit as shown in the pdf drawing you also posted as I need to move the PC some distance away from the S5plc is it possible to get a printed circuit board laypout for the shematic in the PDF file Kind regards Sandman

Dear friend, I am happy to hear you have succeeded to build your TTY converter. For which reason you need to connect the PLC to computer at long distance? How long is the distance? Do you want to receive data from PLC, or you want to debug program with Step5 ? If you use a windows based program (like S5-S7 for windows, or PG-2000) you can use an Ethernet-RS232 + TTY adapter. You will get a very small delay, but you can be even in other country..... I have good results with MOXA converter model: DE311. All the best, dekor. NPort_DE_211_311.pdf

Hi Dekor thanks for your reply when I posted I did not know if you were still around Its good to get a reply The S5 unit is on a Sand Mouldability Controller attached to a Disa Sand Mill the output is a disply on a pc of what the machine is doing and Data. It runs on a dos screen from a win 98 platform when the machine was first installed the pc was about 800 meter away and was conected with a converter "stromchnittstelle PC/PG-AG Typ:IR-TTY 20mA" the computer was moved to colse by the SMC and when this converter failed I built one that was posted with the circuit board Diagram. We intend to move the PC away from the Sand mill to the lab some 800 meters again. I noticed in the pdf shematic this was a different unit but I do not have enough knowledge to be able to change the shematic into a circuit board that I can constuct the circuit board layout would be for this shematic (rs232_tty.pdf ( 65.78K )) Regards Sandman Edited by sandman

Dear friend, I am not the author of the PCB that you see. For your situation you can use as I said before the Ethernet converter. It will create the RS232 port over the network. Is like your computer is on the office and he have the COM port on the plant (800 m away). I had tested also products from different manufacturer, but without good results. dekor.

Hi Dekor. I thank you for taking the time to reply I am sorry for the delay in posting back but I've been on leave from work and my computer access. the S5 unit is part of a Sand mouldability unit attached to a Sand Mill and the output from that is what gets displayed on the pc screen when we need to make changes to the sand batch we can access the plc through the pc screens using F keys which can then change values of the mix such as set points the program runs on the win 98 platform so is getting old now Its sad that the circuit is not your own at the moment the one I have built from your plans is working and giving me a signal so all is well at the moment I have a program that can draw up a pcb board from schematics so I will attemp to make one that way however there is a componant that is on that diagram that I do not understand what it is it is marked as "A1 L05" and is in yellow do you know what this is the rest of the componants I can work out regards Sandman Edited by sandman

Dear friend, the component is LM7805, or equivalent .It is a compact IC 5v DC voltage regulator integrated circuit. All the best. dekor

Hi Dekor. Thanks for all your help it has been much appreciated

Dear friend, the reason of forums: