Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

RsSQL

7 posts in this topic

I just went through a very intense training session in RsSQL and have to say I was very impressed. My main purpose of sharing this is for you guys, who similar to me use a version of RsLinx and "roll your own" code. This software connects your control systems to your database systems. Not only does it provide the link that we normally do with RsLinx, but takes care of the tag mapping for you also and can do event based transactions. It is also capable of running very easily running on redundant servers and includes buffering for when your data servers are offline In addition I had a short opportunity to play with Historian. It has RsSql built into it and gives you the addition of data logging, reports, and much more that I was unable to take in with the few hours I had. I guess you could say it pretty much provides an option for a front end interface for RsSQL I'll try to post more information about it as I learn but I'm beginning to think that this may be a better way to go compared to writing your own interface

TW, It's been about 5 years since I've used RSSQL. I've been promoting FactorySQL, which is functionally similar in concept to RSSQL, but works a bit differently. I'm very interested in showing you FactorySQL and seeing how we compare. Our positioning focuses on a more affordable pricing model and ease of development, but I'd like to see how the technical features stack up. I'm also interested in what you have to say about RSSQL and specifics about the coding that you're currently doing. Thanks for the info. Edited by Nathan

Right now I have a customer specifically asking for RsSQL. That was my only purpose of going to this training seminar. Just figured I would drop a little note in the Product Review Section since I had evaluated it. I'll be asking some more specific questions about RsSQL in the AB Section in coming weeks. Perhaps you can keep an eye out for them since you have some experience with RsSQL and the fundamentals are similar. As far as FactorySQL, I would be very interested in evaluating it also, but not for this project since the customer specified the software. I'll drop you a PM. Maybe I'll put up a Product Review after I evaluate it TW

An evaluation would be awesome. I don't mind providing advice on SQL database layout, etc. It's been awhile since I've used RSSQL, and honestly, I was pretty far from getting it to do everything that I needed. I'll be happy to help out where I can.

I'm going to resurrect this thread: My company, in an effort to reduce the finger pointing that different vendors do to each other when things don't work, decided to use EVERYTHING Rockwell/AB when possible. We used RSSql & RSLinx for data collection for a while, and it works pretty well... once it is configured. The thing I absolutely hate about RSSql is the amount of time involved to set it up. First you pick all the tags you will want to use, then you configure the data objects, then you configure transactions to use the data objects, then you assign tags to the transactions. When you have ~12,000 tags and 130-140 individual transactions it can take DAYS to set up. Maybe it is just me, but most of those steps can be automated in the background. Why do I need to pick the tags before I assign them to transactions? The 'data objects' can be dynamically created when I say I want this tag in that field on that table. Tags can be added to the list when I add them to transactions. Like they say, time is money, and it was easy to switch to FactorySQL once my boss saw how much faster it was to set up.

I agree - all else being equal, standardization is always a good idea. Out of curiosity, did you use any of the following techniques in FactorySQL for setting up all those tags: 1. Dragging down entire "files" to recursively set up groups/tags 2. Copy/Paste and search/replace for sets of tags with similar paths 3. Import/Export to .CSV and use the magic of Excel

I used #1 and #3. Holy cow did that save a LOT of time.