Everything posted by Ol_Johnny
Hey everyone! New member here, and this site has always been a big help! I try to help other folks too, but a lot of guys are super quick on here. I've got a problem using some obscure components. I inherited a sensor network at work that uses Panasonic S-Link and I need to read them from a Q-Series. Panasonic makes a module that slots into the Q Series called an SL-VMEL-Q that I have. My question is: Did I do everything correctly on my Mitsubishi side? I put it into the parameters as an intelligent module with 64 points and I put the correct address in for the start I/O. Is that all I have to do? This is the first time I used a module that wasn't on the drop down list when you add one in GX Works 2. I can read and write to the buffer memory, but I can't get the unit to send to or receive from the sensors. I think the problem is that there is no end unit on the S-Link line (I don't know if it's just a terminating resistor or what), but it previously worked without one, so I can't be certain.
Just to update - I found out I was doing everything correctly, except for the I/O was set to 64, thanks for clearing that up! It turns out, if anyone has to mess with this style of fieldbus... that there are 2 versions of S-Link from Panasonic. The newer one is called S-Link V and it does not work with sensors manufactured for the older system. (I think different baud rates.) So I suppose we'll be replacing them because they're obsolete anyway.
I was confused when I read the manual, because on page 19 it's says the product incorporates 32 points input and 32 points output, so I thought it was 64. I left out the code on 18 because I set the parameters on the unit itself... and I was able to see those settings change in buffer memory when I powered on. Also, yes the inputs appear to be functioning correctly, because I put the other programming example (customized of course) from page 33 into my program (where it reads and writes the buffer memory), and X60-X6F appeared to work, I could pause the device or remove +24 volts and the inputs would change as they should. I did force an error and that bit was not going high.... it should have been X71. Thanks so much for trying to help with this!